Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why can't science and god go together? - Minitokyo

Why can't science and god go together?

page 4 of 9 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next » 196 total items

Wugz

analord

Debates between scientific and religious communities drive me nuts. Why can't those two just fucking leave one another alone.

God is based on faith and science keeps saying there's no proof. Cretins.

Science is based on empiric study and religion occasionally tried to deny whatever it is science discovered. Idiotic.

Just get on with your damn lives and chill out. I have this friend who constantly keeps bickering about the topic. It gets on my nerves because he's obviously trying to snubb religion simply because it isn't empirical and/or scientific. I've tried telling him to let people be and believe what they want but to no avail. Makes him look like such a prick.

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by PlunkiesCommon descent? YES. Beyond a reasonable doubt. The mechanics of evolution are not as strongly confirmed but there is a great deal of evidence to support it and nothing to directly contradict it. I have news for you. We're never going to see a monkey turn into a human before our very eyes. <---That's basically your entire ignorant argument wrapped up into one sentence. Yeah I know. We all know. It took longer than civilization itself.

Ok. Then give valid proof of macroevolution on this forum. Prove to me for a fact that humans came from ape-like ancestors. Include the sequence of logic and how you came to the final conclusion, that it is a fact that humans came from ape-like ancestors.

Btw that wasn't my whole argument, I also mentioned "fossil record".

Quote by PlunkiesYeah it's too bad some monkey ancestor didn't invent english/paper/ink and write down the process by which he was turning human over a million years. How'd they miss something so obvious? Lazy jerks...

And there is no "missing link". They're all links. There are millions of links just between apes and humans. We can't possibly find them all, this may surprise you but skeletons over 500,000 years old are rather difficult to find. Fossils are hard to come by in general. There are however a great deal of fossils that support humans evolving from ape-like ancestors. Here's a listing of the most recent discoveries and here's a listing of some of the more popular ones.

Yet people who believed in God wrote it down in the Bible over more than a thousand years. Ahh... but it's just Chrisitian propaganda, how could I miss something so obvious.

"We are about 120 years after Darwin and the knowledge of the fossil record has been greatly expanded. We now have a quarter of a million species but the situation hasn't changed much. The record of evolution is still surprisingly jerky and, ironically, we have fewer examples of evolutionary transition than we had in Darwin's time." - Dr. David M. Raup, Curator of Geology, Museum of Natural History, Chicago

"There is NO, I repeat NO, NONE, ZIP, ZERO evidence that contradicts evolution and a great deal of evidence that supports it and more evidence continues to pile up." - Plunkies

Heresy! We all know that Plunkies of the minitokyo forum is telling the truth! If anything, there should be more evidence supporting evolutionary transition today than in Darwin's time.

"We can't possibly find them all, this may surprise you but skeletons over 500,000 years old are rather difficult to find." - Plunkies

So your evidence hasn't been found has it? You do have faith that the 'missing links' exist though. Why is that?

Btw I couldn't access your links... otherwise I would've gone to find more relevant scientific data, no... I mean Christian propaganda.

Quote by PlunkiesAnd the evolutionist side CAN be proven correct if abiogenesis is ever recreated (theoretically possible), creationists however can never recreate god poofing everything into existence.

Yes the evolutionist side isn't proven.

If someone could create life in a laboratory that would truly be phenomenal. It would be in the news worldwide. I haven't heard of it... and I believe I never will.

On abiogenesis:

"applied all the laws of probability studies to the possibility of a single cell coming into existence by chance. He considered in the same way a single protein molecule, and even a single gene. His discoveries are revolutionary. He computed a world in which the entire crust of the earth - all the oceans, all the atoms, and the whole crust were available. He then had these amino acids bind at a rate one and one-half trillion times faster than they do in nature. In computing the possibilities, he found that to provide a single protein molecule by chance combination would take 10, to the 262nd power, years. (That is, the number 1 followed by 262 zeros.)" - on research done by Dr. James Coppedge (1973), of the Center for Probability Research in Biology in California

Note that this is about a protein, not an organism yet. Note also that the universe is calculated to be about 13.7 billion years old. (1.37 followed by 10 zeroes)

"an event on the cosmic level with a probability of less than 1 out of 10, to the 50th power, will not happen." - Emile Borel, a French scientist and expert in the area of probability

Theoretically... still impossible. However these people must all be Christian propaganda supporters, just like all scientists who put forth scientific evidence that contradict evolution. So are the authors of every scientific and mathematical book questioning evolution on amazon.com. It's all a big conspiracy to overthrow the evolutionist religion really.

Quote by PlunkiesI state again. There is no existing evidence that directly contradicts evolution.

Yes, since all the scientific evidence that contradicts evolution available today must originate from Christian propaganda supporters and thus is irrelevant. I can't even hope to change your mind since I'm a Christian propaganda supporter too right?

Quote by PlunkiesYou're saying here that it's reasonable to assume he exists because there is no evidence for his non-existance. Correct?

Simple and sweet. I like your summary. Actually I was just pointing out that alexjohnc3's (this) form of logic leads nowhere.

P.S. Sorry for the semi-sarcastic tone of this post. I somehow felt it was neccessary to address the normal "Christian propaganda" response though.

Quote by Persocom01Ok. Then give valid proof of macroevolution on this forum. Prove to me for a fact that humans came from ape-like ancestors. Include the sequence of logic and how you came to the final conclusion, that it is a fact that humans came from ape-like ancestors.

I already have. And as I predicted you seem to have ignored it. Gee who'd a thunk it?

There's also plenty more evidence for macro evolution. Anti bacterial resistant bacteria, a new species of mosquito in the london subway, new plant species etc.

Quote: Yet people who believed in God wrote it down in the Bible over more than a thousand years. Ahh... but it's just Chrisitian propaganda, how could I miss something so obvious.

Ugh...Yeah that's totally the same thing. Doesn't get more scientific than the bible does it?

Quote: "We are about 120 years after Darwin and the knowledge of the fossil record has been greatly expanded. We now have a quarter of a million species but the situation hasn't changed much. The record of evolution is still surprisingly jerky and, ironically, we have fewer examples of evolutionary transition than we had in Darwin's time." - Dr. David M. Raup, Curator of Geology, Museum of Natural History, Chicago

No, the fossil record must be complete, this man must be lying. There are no missing links in evolutionary transition.

What is your point? That there are missing links we haven't found yet? Bravo. Well done. It must have really been god then huh?

What are you even talking about? I never said there were no missing links, I said we found numerous missing links. You've ignored those as well.

Quote: Yes the evolutionist side isn't proven.

If someone could create life in a laboratory that would truly be phenomenal. It would be in the news worldwide. I haven't heard of it... and I believe I never will.

I was talking about abiogenesis. Which I obviously shouldn't have been because you can't seem to differentiate between abiogenesis and evolution. I know in the bible it's all wrapped up in one little 7 day fairy tale but in the scientific world abiogenesis and evolution are two completely different things that are independent of each other. The fact that abiogenesis has or hasn't been recreated is meaningless to the evolutionary theory so again I have to ask, wtf is your point?

Oh and you have no problem believing in a god blinking around like I dream of genie creating the universe but abiogenesis is outside your imagination huh? Why does that not suprise me at all?

Quote: On abiogenesis:

"applied all the laws of probability studies to the possibility of a single cell coming into existence by chance. He considered in the same way a single protein molecule, and even a single gene. His discoveries are revolutionary. He computed a world in which the entire crust of the earth - all the oceans, all the atoms, and the whole crust were available. He then had these amino acids bind at a rate one and one-half trillion times faster than they do in nature. In computing the possibilities, he found that to provide a single protein molecule by chance combination would take 10, to the 262nd power, years. (That is, the number 1 followed by 262 zeros.)" - on research done by Dr. James Coppedge (1973), of the Center for Probability Research in Biology in California

Note that this is about a protein, not an organism yet. Note also that the universe is calculated to be about 13.7 billion years old. (1.37 followed by 10 zeroes)

"an event on the cosmic level with a probability of less than 1 out of 10, to the 50th power, will not happen." - Emile Borel, a French scientist and expert in the area of probability

Here's a link explaining the errors in the above quote and probability testing of abiogenesis. I'm sure you'll ignore it as well.

Quote: Theoretically... still impossible.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. It seems entirely possible to me. God making humans from dirt, noah's ark, talking snakes, resurrections, biblical apocolypses, virgin births, splitting seas, turning inanimate objects into animals, angels, devils, heaven, hell, these are what sound impossible to me. It's almost as though we're living in different worlds.

Quote: However these people must all be Christian propaganda supporters, just like all scientists who put forth scientific evidence that contradict evolution. So are the authors of every scientific and mathematical book questioning evolution on amazon.com. It's all a big conspiracy to overthrow the evolutionist religion really.

I've never said anything of the sort.

Quote: Yes, since all the scientific evidence that contradicts evolution available today must originate from Christian propaganda supporters and thus is irrelevant. I can't even hope to change your mind since I'm a Christian propaganda supporter too right?

I never said the evidence that directly contradicts evolution is from christian propaganda supporters, I said no evidence exists that directly contradicts evolution. That is a fact. Bring me some evidence, scientifically supported evidence that effectively disproves the evolutionary theory and I'll admit defeat and the scientific community will collectively move on to something different.

Quote:

Quote by PlunkiesYou're saying here that it's reasonable to assume he exists because there is no evidence for his non-existance. Correct?

Simple and sweet. I like your summary. Actually I was just pointing out that alexjohnc3's (this) form of logic leads nowhere.

Once again I am left to wonder what your point was. His form of logic was perfectly clear. It's the same reason you wouldn't believe I have invisible pink hippos that live on my roof. If you disagree with him then you must believe in everything right? Santa, the tooth fairy, easter bunny, leprechauns, big foot, fsm, lochness monsters, those scientology alien thingies (whatever they're called). It must be exausting to have to believe anything your told...

IMO, some religious opinion bout the world,if already proven by scientist, should be changed, it doesnt lead to any disaster if you change the way you are thinking for this right? Afterall, I doubt those people centuries ago know what is called 'typing' and 'bullets'. Their believes was just because of what they believe back then because their lack of modern.....technology, human used to believe that earth is the center of the universe when someone ( not sure who this man is already ) said it, and now we have greater knowledge of the universe, so things can change, and should be change, unless like those extremist who doesnt want and stay.....outdated? something like that. As long as it isnt harmful (since religions are suppose to guide us to the bright good side ), it doesnt matter whether god created human, or human are a result of evolution from unicel organism ( as proven by scientish? ), the truth with proof should be our believe.

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by PlunkiesI already have. And as I predicted you seem to have ignored it. Gee who'd a thunk it?

There's also plenty more evidence for macro evolution. Anti bacterial resistant bacteria, a new species of mosquito in the london subway, new plant species etc.

That's microevolution. And I can't access your links. Just paste the evidence on the forum. And I wholly believe in the ability of living things to adapt to their enviorment. What you would call microevolution.

"Associate professor Yousif Shamoo and two students recently conducted experiments on a microbe, G. stearothermophilus, to see how it adapted to different environmental circumstances. In the experiment, the dominant strains of separate generations of the microbe ended up developing the same mutant gene in response to the same environmental hazards....

..."The duplicate study suggests that the pathways of molecular adaptation are reproducible and not highly variable under identical conditions," Shamoo said in a statement. "One of our most surprising findings is that an estimated 20 million point mutations gave rise to just six populations that were capable of vying for dominance. This suggests that very few molecular pathways are available for a specific molecular response."" - an article on evolution

This article say that molecular adaptation is not highly variable under identical conditions and that adaptablity is limited. I believe in the limited adaptability of living things, and I do not believe that living things can transform from reptile -> bird or whatever macroevolution suggests.

Quote by PlunkiesWhat is your point? That there are missing links we haven't found yet? Bravo. Well done. It must have really been god then huh?

So it can be a fact without evidence. Right? So I'm the ignorant one for believing in God...

Quote by PlunkiesWhat are you even talking about? I never said there were no missing links, I said we found numerous missing links. You've ignored those as well.

Provide the evidence here and don't just claim that it's there.

"Yet Gould and the American Museum people are hard to contradict when they say there are no transitional fossils. As a palaeontologist myself, I am much occupied with the philosophical problems of identifying ancestral forms in the fossil record. You say that I should at least 'show a photo of the fossil from which each type of organism was derived.' I will lay it on the line-there is not one such fossil for which one could make a watertight argument." - Patterson, Colin, letter 10 April 1979, in Sunderland L.D., Darwin's Enigma: Fossils and Other Problems (Master Book Publishers: El Cajon CA, Fourth Edition, 1988, p89) (emphasis supplied). Mr. Colin Patterson was, during his lifetime, the Senior Palaeontologist of the British Musem of Natural History, London, England.

Hard to find aren't they? Even when the oldest fossilized life form ever found is said to be 3.5 billion years old. And 150 years after Darwin, evolutionists are still struggling to find transitionary fossils.

Quote by PlunkiesI was talking about abiogenesis. Which I obviously shouldn't have been because you can't seem to differentiate between abiogenesis and evolution. I know in the bible it's all wrapped up in one little 7 day fairy tale but in the scientific world abiogenesis and evolution are two completely different things that are independent of each other. The fact that abiogenesis has or hasn't been recreated is meaningless to the evolutionary theory so again I have to ask, wtf is your point?

Oh and you have no problem believing in a god blinking around like I dream of genie creating the universe but abiogenesis is outside your imagination huh? Why does that not suprise me at all?

"And the evolutionist side CAN be proven correct if abiogenesis is ever recreated (theoretically possible), creationists however can never recreate god poofing everything into existence." - Plunkies

Yes I was talking about abiogenesis, and so were you. Likewise if you can believe in abiogenesis (life came from non-living matter), and that the monkeys eating bananas and scratching their backs atop some tree can become human one day then why can't you believe in God?

If you believe in evolution

Quote by PlunkiesHere's a link explaining the errors in the above quote and probability testing of abiogenesis. I'm sure you'll ignore it as well.

I can't access your website. Post the evidence here.

Quote by PlunkiesI've never said anything of the sort.

"Yeah ok. You keep ignoring the facts and just post sound bites from christian propaganda websites. Good job man. You're really good at this." - Plunkies

Just in case any information I give is Christian propaganda to you.

Quote by PlunkiesI never said the evidence that directly contradicts evolution is from christian propaganda supporters, I said no evidence exists that directly contradicts evolution. That is a fact. Bring me some evidence, scientifically supported evidence that effectively disproves the evolutionary theory and I'll admit defeat and the scientific community will collectively move on to something different.

Look at the article at the top. Of course, it's far from conclusive evidence that macroevolution can never occur. What about you then? Bring me some scientifically supported evidence that effectively proves evolutionary theory.

Besides... there's plenty of evidence that contradicts evolutionary theory. It just seems that you will accept none of them as "directly" contradicting.

Quote by PlunkiesOnce again I am left to wonder what your point was. His form of logic was perfectly clear. It's the same reason you wouldn't believe I have invisible pink hippos that live on my roof. If you disagree with him then you must believe in everything right? Santa, the tooth fairy, easter bunny, leprechauns, big foot, fsm, lochness monsters, those scientology alien thingies (whatever they're called). It must be exausting to have to believe anything your told...

Yup, just as I wouldn't believe that humans came from ape-like ancestors and that bacteria can become human one day. Or that my pet terrapin can, under the right conditions and millions of years later, evolve into a flying turtle. That form of logic doesn't prove a thing. It just leaves people to their individual beliefs.

"We have ape-like ancestors, that is a FACT." - Plunkies

And lastly, I challenge you again to give valid proof of macroevolution on this forum. Prove to me for a fact that humans came from ape-like ancestors. Include the sequence of logic and how you came to the final conclusion, that it is a fact that humans came from ape-like ancestors.

Quote by Persocom01That's microevolution.

Nope, it's macro. You don't even know the difference apparently.

Macroevolution - Any evolutionary change at or above the level of species.

Microevolution - Any evolutionary change below the level of species.

Quote: And I can't access your links.

Ugh. Freakin typical. You could argue with me all day and I wouldn't have to say a thing would I? You can't even access my evidence but still claim I have none. No wonder it seemed like I was talking to a brick wall. This is retarded. I'm done here.

Quote by Persocom01

Quote by alexjohnc3It's possible that a being that isn't controlled by logic exists, that isn't falsifiable, or observable, but it's pointless to consider that to be true because if the being doesn't exist then you're making the assumption that it does exist. Just because there's a lack of evidence for the existence of God doesn't mean He's hiding, it means there's no reason to believe He exists.

It's possible that there is no God. It isn't falsifiable, or observable, but it's pointless to consider that to be true because if the if God exists then you're making the assumption that he doesn't. Just because there's a lack of evidence for the non-existance of God doesn't mean that God doesn't exist, it means there's no reason to believe he doesn't exist.

It all sounded very intelligent, but you should take some time to think about where this train of thought leads to.

Yes, what you said is true. Except I believe God doesn't exist, I just don't hold a belief in God. Next time maybe you should take some time to think about what you write instead of making up what I think, maybe even try to refute my argument.

Quote by Persocom01

Do you happen to understand that the concept of "non-belief" it isn't either, "I believe God doesn't exist" or "I believe God exists." Atheists lack a belief in God. According to your logic we should assume the tooth fairy exists just because there's no evidence that it doesn't exist. I don't believe, "the tooth fairy cannot exist," but my point is that you can lack a belief in something without denying it's existence. I'd think you could realize this yourself, but it seems many theists have had trouble with this idea.

Quote by Persocom01Yup, just as I wouldn't believe that humans came from ape-like ancestors and that bacteria can become human one day. Or that my pet terrapin can, under the right conditions and millions of years later, evolve into a flying turtle. That form of logic doesn't prove a thing. It just leaves people to their individual beliefs.

I can see that don't seem to understand how a concept can be justified. Something doesn't exist simply because I say I have a belief that it does. If there's not enough reason to believe it true then your belief isn't justified. That doesn't mean your belief is wrong, but it means there's justified reason for it. Just as there's no justified reason for me to believe that the Invisible Pink Unicorn exists, there's no justified reason for a belief in God. Therefore the logical thing is to lack a belief in God (Atheism). If you can justify your belief then my statement is wrong, but you seem to think there is no evidence for your belief, which means everything is true if there isn't evidence to the contrary. Maybe you should learn about the idea of "burden of proof" sometime.

Quote by PlunkiesUgh. Freakin typical. You could argue with me all day and I wouldn't have to say a thing would I? You can't even access my evidence but still claim I have none. No wonder it seemed like I was talking to a brick wall. This is retarded. I'm done here.

Try not to get so frustrated. >_<

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by alexjohnc3I can see that don't seem to understand how a concept can be justified. Something doesn't exist simply because I say I have a belief that it does. If there's not enough reason to believe it true then your belief isn't justified. That doesn't mean your belief is wrong, but it means there's justified reason for it. Just as there's no justified reason for me to believe that the Invisible Pink Unicorn exists, there's no justified reason for a belief in God. Therefore the logical thing is to lack a belief in God (Atheism). If you can justify your belief then my statement is wrong, but you seem to think there is no evidence for your belief, which means everything is true if there isn't evidence to the contrary. Maybe you should learn about the idea of "burden of proof" sometime.

To me, there is enough "justification" that God exists. What "justification" there is obviously isn't enough for you, and thus your non belief. As I said, your argument doesn't prove anything because it means a different thing to you and me.

You see, to me, Atheism is an illogical concept.

If you are an Atheist, then all life one earth, and the universe itself, did not come from God. In fact, I don't know how you believe it came about.

We all know that DNA is the code that contains the instructions for the development of all cellular forms of life, including humans. (like an instructional book)

Let us try to comprehend how complex our DNA is.

Each DNA molecule contains three billion instructions. These instructions are codes that direct the manufacture of approximately 100,000 different proteins that are used in the normal operation of our body. Now these instructions are written in 4 types of molecules and are all 4 molecules long.

Now imagine that each molecule of the DNA code is the size of a poker card. The poker cards are arranged goups of 4. Imagine that all of these groups of four and are in one long line that is four cards thick and 3 billion cards long. This would take up a lot of space. If one assumes 3 inches per group, then the line of cards would circle the world approximately 6 times. This is sufficient information to spell out letter by letter the contents of 20 Encyclopedia Britannicas.

So what? We all know that DNA code contains a great deal of information.

Now DNA is the instructional book. It is written in a certain language. The information is absolutely useless alone, because we can't read it without knowing the language.

Yet the protocol for the code's language is included in each cell. Surprising isn't it? Where did the language come from? Scientists have yet to find an answer.

"The [genetic] code is meaningless unless translated. The modern cell's translating machinery consists of at least fifty macromolecular components WHICH ARE THEMSELVES CODED IN DNA: THE CODE CANNOT BE TRANSLATED OTHERWISE THAN BY PRODUCTS OF TRANSLATION. It is the modern expression of omne vivum ex ovo. When and how did this circle become closed? It is exceedingly difficult to imagine." - Jaques Monod (1972), Chance and Necessity, Collins London, pp 134-135) (emphasis in original)

This is just a taste of how complex the design of life on earth is.

However since you are an Atheist, you believe that you, and your DNA code, were not designed by God.

Instead Atheists turn to theories like evolution to answer such questions. So DNA was created by chance. However, the probability of DNA forming by chance with all it's components available (an already unreasonable assumption) is one in a number derived by multiplying out 1 x 2 x 3 x 4, etc. all the way to three billion.

Completely logical to you apparently.

Not only that. You might also believe that sentient beings like us who are made out of things as complex as DNA and much, much more, are alive today for absolutely no reason other than chance, a universal twist of fate. That there is no reason in life.

Completely illogical to me.

As you can see, we can only agree to disagree about your argument.

Quote by PlunkiesUgh. Freakin typical. You could argue with me all day and I wouldn't have to say a thing would I? You can't even access my evidence but still claim I have none. No wonder it seemed like I was talking to a brick wall. This is retarded. I'm done here.

I'm sorry that I can't access your links but I don't think it would be such a burden to paste some of your evidence here.

"We have ape-like ancestors, that is a FACT." - Plunkies

I'm still waiting for proof on your "FACT" that humans came from ape-like ancestors.

If you do not challenge me with anything besides empty words, I'll suspect that you have no proof, so come, and champion your cause or else.

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that [it was] good." - Genesis 1:24-25

Do you know why the theory of evolution cannot co-exist with Christianity? Because God said he made every living creature after it's kind. That means:

1. Humans did not come from ape-like ancestors. (humans were created separately)
2. Birds did not come from reptiles. (evolutionst theory says birds came from reptiles)
3. There are distinct kinds of animals not related to each other. (all livings things did not share a single common ancestor)
4. God created many new species instantly, and not over millions of years. (no 'missing links'. They do not exist, however evolutionists are still looking for them, 150 years after Darwin.)

Meanwhile evolutionists are still struggling to prove that humans came from an ape-like ancestor, reptiles became birds, produce a new kind of animal in the lab, and find those ever elusive 'missing links'. 150 years after Darwin and still no notable progress. (if any 'progress' at all. Regression in the field of molecular biology in fact.)

Article on an evolutionist still trying to to find evidence for the theory today.

"These early organisms are not preserved in the fossil record, so we don't know very much about how multicellularity first evolved," - King, a professor in the Departments of Integrative Biology and Molecular and Cell Biology.

Still clueless aren't they? It isn't scientific fact that evolution took place. And they still "don't know very much".

So why is the theory of evolution still so popular today? (why after 150 years, have they not given up?)

Because it's the only theory about the history of life whereby a person can become an 'intellectual' aethist. The alternative... that God created everything is an explanation too unthinkable and too unscientific for someone who rejects God to comprehend. People like Plunkies already have one assumption that they refuse to change: that there is no God.

Quote by Persocom01To me, there is enough "justification" that God exists. What "justification" there is obviously isn't enough for you, and thus your non belief. As I said, your argument doesn't prove anything because it means a different thing to you and me.

Since you're making the affirmative statement that "God exists" you have the burden or proof on you to prove it. You've stated multiple times that there is no evidence for the existence of God and that at the same time it makes sense to believe in God, yet you haven't supported your statement nor shown how, if personal beliefs are what make things true, one can tell what is true and what isn't true. I can prove your statement wrong right now: I think I'm going to do poorly on a Math test and I don't, therefore personal beliefs are not what govern reality. Even though that is obvious that is basically what you're saying: I think God exists, therefore God exists.

Quote by Persocom01You see, to me, Atheism is an illogical concept.

If you are an Atheist, then all life one earth, and the universe itself, did not come from God. In fact, I don't know how you believe it came about.

I think you mean, "You don't know how everything came about." What's wrong with being unsure of something and not making yourself look like an idiot? People used to believe spontaneous generation was true without any good tests, if I said, "I don't know how certain biotic things reproduce," would I be the illogical one or would the one who thought spontaneous generation was true without any evidence except that when you leave things like rotting meat out flies appear? Same goes for God, "Oh things seem complex, therefore God must exist." That's much more stupid than a belief in spontaneous generation.

Quote by Persocom01*nonsense about how things seem complex to you, since your making complexity subjective*
Yet the protocol for the code's language is included in each cell. Surprising isn't it? Where did the language come from? Scientists have yet to find an answer.

No, it's not surprising. If we didn't have DNA we wouldn't be able to function. I'm not sure how DNA had developed since I haven't studied it much in school yet and I don't have time to research it online, you can find out yourself if there's a known answer. If "scientists have yet to find an answer" God must have done it! You make no sense. Just because something hasn't been explained yet, or even may never be explained, is no justification for anything other than the fact that something hasn't been explained, I'd think you'd be able to figure that out yourself too...

Also see: http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/evolution/blfaq_evolution_evidence12.htm

Quote by Persocom01*more complexity nonsense*

Tell me, how do you determine how complex something has to be before it couldn't have come about through other means than the Christian God?

Quote by Persocom01However since you are an Atheist, you believe that you, and your DNA code, were not designed by God.

No, that means I hold the belief that God designed humans. I don't believe He didn't since I have no proof that God didn't, that would be as stupid as saying that God exists because there isn't proof to the contrary. Opps, I forgot that was your argument.

Quote by Persocom01Instead Atheists turn to theories like evolution to answer such questions. So DNA was created by chance. However, the probability of DNA forming by chance with all it's components available (an already unreasonable assumption) is one in a number derived by multiplying out 1 x 2 x 3 x 4, etc. all the way to three billion.

I'd like to know how you managed to find this out.
Once again you're making subjective statements. No matter what happens I guess you think nothing would happen at all since there's such a small possibility of it happening.

Quote by Persocom01
*more complexity nonsense*
That there is no reason in life.

If God created us, he must have screwed up to create so many people who believe in Him illogically.

Quote by Persocom01
As you can see, we can only agree to disagree about your argument.

I don't think I disagree with my argument...
Would you care to provide evidence for the existence of your God yet?

Quote by Persocom01
Do you know why the theory of evolution cannot co-exist with Christianity?

Congrats, you've just stated that your religion cannot be true. Be happy that all sane Christians disagree with you, including my father, who is extremely intelligent.

Might also want to read some of this: http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/factandtheory.html

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by alexjohnc3Since you're making the affirmative statement that "God exists" you have the burden or proof on you to prove it. You've stated multiple times that there is no evidence for the existence of God and that at the same time it makes sense to believe in God, yet you haven't supported your statement nor shown how, if personal beliefs are what make things true, one can tell what is true and what isn't true. I can prove your statement wrong right now: I think I'm going to do poorly on a Math test and I don't, therefore personal beliefs are not what govern reality. Even though that is obvious that is basically what you're saying: I think God exists, therefore God exists.

I believe that the moment a person can think, and question his existance is reason enough for the belief in a God.

You see, I believe that humans believe in a God without need for any "justification" by default. I believe that the belief in an absence of a God is what requires "justification".

So you see, I would ask you for your justification on why you don't believe in a God just as you would ask me for my justification for my belief in my God.

I also believe that there is no real stand of "having no claim in a God". Your heart either believes in one or does not.

To me, Theism is logical, and Atheism is not.

I have found the Bible to be the wisest, most profound book that I have ever read. I find that the truth and prophecy it contains far surpasses all known human teachings. I believe the God of absolute holiness and justice it describes, and I believe the universe is his creation. This is not the reason I believe in a God. This is the reason I believe in the Christian God.

So let us agree to disagree on this matter.

Quote by alexjohnc3I think you mean, "You don't know how everything came about." What's wrong with being unsure of something and not making yourself look like an idiot? People used to believe spontaneous generation was true without any good tests, if I said, "I don't know how certain biotic things reproduce," would I be the illogical one or would the one who thought spontaneous generation was true without any evidence except that when you leave things like rotting meat out flies appear? Same goes for God, "Oh things seem complex, therefore God must exist." That's much more stupid than a belief in spontaneous generation.

"Same goes for God, "Oh things seem complex, therefore God must exist." That's much more stupid than a belief in spontaneous generation." - alexjohnc3

So you think people were stupid just because they thought differently.

If you don't believe that God created life, you believe in abiogenesis, which is spontaneous generation. There are only 2 sides to a coin. There is God, or there is not. The fact that there is life isn't disputed.

"What's wrong with being unsure of something and not making yourself look like an idiot?" - alexjohnc3

From a psychological point of view, the reason why you are an atheist is because you don't want to look like a religious idiot. Instead you prefer atheism as you can draw security from what is perceived to be 'smart' or 'logical'.

Quote by alexjohnc3No, it's not surprising. If we didn't have DNA we wouldn't be able to function. I'm not sure how DNA had developed since I haven't studied it much in school yet and I don't have time to research it online, you can find out yourself if there's a known answer. If "scientists have yet to find an answer" God must have done it! You make no sense. Just because something hasn't been explained yet, or even may never be explained, is no justification for anything other than the fact that something hasn't been explained, I'd think you'd be able to figure that out yourself too...

Also see: http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/evolution/blfaq_evolution_evidence12.htm

The "junk" DNA that http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/evolution/blfaq_evolution_evidence12.htm suggests is not junk. Scientists now believe what was first called "junk" DNA now has a purpose. Unfortunately this was discovered after the public were indoctrinated that the "junk" DNA was evolutionary proof.

When scientists first analyzed DNA, they discovered it was composed of both protein coding sequences (genes) and non-protein coding sequences (introns). The long non-protein coding information sequences called introns exist both between genes and within genes.

As far as scientists knew, only the genes were of any value. Since genes make up about only 2% of our DNA, what this meant for human DNA was that 98% of our DNA was considered to be junk.

Because introns did not produce proteins, they "'were immediately assumed to be evolutionary junk.' That assumption was too hasty. 'Increasingly we are realizing that there is a large collection of 'genes' that are clearly functional even though they do not code any protein' but produce only RNA."(1) Or as Gibbs' subsequent article puts it, "Science had dismissed such DNA as the useless detritus of evolution, because no proteins are made form it. But it turns out that these unconventional genes do give rise to active RNAs, through which they profoundly alter the behavior of normal genes."(2)

In the words of Gibb's article in November's issue of Scientific American, "'What was damned as junk because it was not understood may, in fact, turn out to be the very basis of human complexity.' ... there is good reason to suspect that is true."(2) The article also admits, "The failure to recognize the importance of introns 'may well go down as one of the biggest mistakes in the history of molecular biology.'"(3)

Why have scientists overlooked the non-protein coding information sequences? "For decades, pseudogenes have been written off as molecular fossils, the remains of genes that were broken by mutation and abandoned by evolution."(4) The article goes on to point out that in mice one of these pseudogenes "controls the expression of the 'real' gene ... even though the two lie on different chromosomes. There is nothing pseudo about that."(5)

What is the result of this new understanding of the genome?

"The new view of the genomic machine is energizing, .... Those 30,000-odd protein-coding genes, so important yet so immutable, are not the only instruction set to which cells refer. Noncoding DNA matters. Chemical attachments to DNA and to the histones matter. The shape of chromatin matters. ... 'There is a whole new universe out there that we have been blind to,' Bestor says. 'It is very exciting.'"

Up to date in 2006. Let us not make hasty evolutionary assumptions.

Quote by alexjohnc3Tell me, how do you determine how complex something has to be before it couldn't have come about through other means than the Christian God?

I didn't. Nowhere did I mention "Christian God". I'm only arguing against the belief in the absence of one.

Quote by alexjohnc3No, that means I hold the belief that God designed humans.

Let us look at the definition of Atheism.

"Atheism, in its broadest sense, is the absence of theism (the belief in the existence of deities). This encompasses both people who assert that there are no gods, and those who make no claim about whether gods exist or not. Narrower definitions of atheism, however, typically only label people who affirmatively assert the nonexistence of gods as atheists." - wikipedia

So you believe there is a God who designed humans. If so, you have claimed that you believe that such a God exists. How can you also claim to be an atheist then?

Quote by alexjohnc3I'd like to know how you managed to find this out.
Once again you're making subjective statements. No matter what happens I guess you think nothing would happen at all since there's such a small possibility of it happening.

Since the possibility of it occuring is beyond the realm of probability, I believe beyond reasonable doubt that it did not occur by chance.

Quote by alexjohnc3If God created us, he must have screwed up to create so many people who believe in Him illogically.

Personal beliefs do not make things true.

Quote by alexjohnc3I don't think I disagree with my argument...
Would you care to provide evidence for the existence of your God yet?

I didn't say you have to disagree on your argument. I said we have to agree to disagree. That means:

1. You agree on (your own) argument.
2. I disagree.

That is all.

Quote by alexjohnc3Congrats, you've just stated that your religion cannot be true. Be happy that all sane Christians disagree with you, including my father, who is extremely intelligent.

Response to http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/factandtheory.html :

If the history of life according to the theory of evolution is true then Christianity is not. Simple as that. (note that Christianity never disputes the fact that bacteria can become resistant to antibiotics, or that rabbits can grow longer fur, or even natural selection for that matter. I've stated that I believe in limited adaptability.)

Your website has enlightened about the difference between the and "theory of evolution" and its version of the history of life.

Christianity does not agree with what the theory of evolution says about the history of life.

Sorry for being confused on the distinction between the (unfortunately very closely related) concepts. However, I don't think you have the authority to judge people as "sane" or insane for that matter.

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

Aiya... Okay. While I believe in evolution, I also believe that religion and evolution can go together. If someone wants to say God created the world and gave things the potential to change over time, then that's a perfectly valid belief for me. However, no one can say that evolution has not taken place, cuz I think the idea that NOTHING (as in species/organisms) on this planet has changed since the beginning of time is a little hard to swallow. The main cause of debate is the mechanism to explain the process of evolution, which is natural selection. That's about as far into the debate as I dare to dip my toes, but here are a couple of links that I used in my college course on evolution. Go through both and see what conclusions you come up with on your own.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/faq/

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/

I think that this site may be especially relevant to the discussion at hand: Evolution and Religion

Signature Image

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Christianity is based on the Bible, and I feel that I must clarify what the Bible says, and what it implies that goes against the theory of evolution.

"And the earth brought forth grass, [and] herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed [was] in itself, after his kind: and God saw that [it was] good." - Genesis 1:12

Grass and trees are not related, nor did they evolve from a common ancestor.

"And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that [it was] good." - Genesis 1:21

Whales did not evolve from any creature, neither did winged birds evolve from any creature.

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that [it was] good. And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." - Genesis 1:24-27

We know today that animals can be generally grouped into different 'family trees'. This does not go against what the Bible tells us.

However the Bible does tell us that there exists "kinds" of animals not related to each other. Moreover, the Bible says that humans are a unique creation.

God also created the universe, and the different "kinds" of animals in the time of 6 days.

Summary on some of what the Bible says:

1. The Bible says that all living things did not share a single common ancestor.
2. Humans are a unique creation.
3. Many kinds of animals were created in the span of the 6 days.
4. Whales and winged birds are a unique creation.

The the history of life according to the theory of evolution says:

1. All living things evolved from single-cell organisms.
2. Humans share an ape-like ancestor with chimpanzees and other monkeys.
3. Evolution took place over millions of years.
4. Evolutionists believe that a mammal went back into the sea and became a whale, and that birds evolved from reptiles.

What scientific evidence today says:

1. No definate proof of either occurance. (creation cannot be proven)

Article on a scientist still trying to to find evidence for the theory today.

Evolutionists are still pretty clueless on how it happened, 150 years after Darwin.

2. Well I've been challenging people to prove as fact the evolutionist theory pf this one, and no one has brought forth any valid proof yet. (no proof actually)

3. The transitional fossils or 'missing links' evolutionists claim exists have yet to be found. How strange if it took place over millions of years, and the oldest fossil found is said to be 3.5 billion years old.

However there exists the phenomenon known as Cambrian explosion in the fossil record between about 570 and 530 million years ago (evolutionist time scale), with the eventual appearance of the lineages of almost all animals living today. These changes seems to have happened in a range of about 30 million years, and some stages took 5 to 10 million years.

This is strangely in line with what the Bible says. (note that creationists also believe the evolutionist time scale to be inaccurate. Think... how can you confirm the age that an object is millions of years old? Research about the flaws and assumptions of carbon-14 dating.)

The absence of fossils before the Cambrian period are explained by evolutionists as due to the lack of fossilizable hard parts sequestered and secreted by organisms during in Pre-Cambrian times, and that the enviroment was different during those times.

4. Evolutionists have yet to come up with a satisfactory explanation on how whales and birds evolved. The fossil record with it's lack of evidence of this ever occuring, does them no favors either.

Other notes:

Do not tell me that the fact that bacteria develop resistance to antibiotics, or that rabbits can grow longer fur, or that the new colour of parrot now available in the pet shop is evidence that proves theory of evolution's history of life true and the Bible false... The Bible never said that living things were incapable of change.

Quote by Persocom011. No definate proof of either occurance.

Plenty of proof supporting evolution, none supporting your mythology.

Quote: Article on a scientist still trying to to find evidence for the theory today.

Um...That article supports animals evolving from single-celled organisms. Do you even read the links that you post?

Quote: Evolutionists are still pretty clueless on how it happened, 150 years after Darwin.

Ugh. Well you ARE the expert aren't you? Nothing like a christian fundie to give the 100% truth about science.

Quote: 2. Well I've been challenging people to prove as fact the evolutionist theory pf this one, and no one has brought forth any valid proof yet. (no proof actually)

3. The transitional fossils or 'missing links' evolutionists claim exists have yet to be found. How strange if it took place over millions of years, and the oldest fossil found is said to be 3.5 billion years old.

I'm not even going to bother answering this again since you've already proven that you're more that happy to completely ignore evidence. Anyone OTHER than you reading this thread can see you're in the wrong here.

Quote: ....Cambrian explosion....

Already addressed in this very thread.

Quote: Research about the flaws and assumptions of carbon-14 dating.

1. Independent measurements, using different and independent radiometric techniques, give consistent results (Dalrymple 2000; Lindsay 1999; Meert 2000). Such results cannot be explained either by chance or by a systematic error in decay rate assumptions.

2. Radiometric dates are consistent with several nonradiometric dating methods. For example:

* The Hawaiian archipelago was formed by the Pacific ocean plate moving over a hot spot at a slow but observable rate. Radiometric dates of the islands are consistent with the order and rate of their being positioned over the hot spot (Rubin 2001).

* Radiometric dating is consistent with Milankovitch cycles, which depend only on astronomical factors such as precession of the earth's tilt and orbital eccentricity (Hilgen et al. 1997).

* Radiometric dating is consistent with the luminescence dating method (Thompson n.d.; Thorne et al. 1999).

* Radiometric dating gives results consistent with relative dating methods such as "deeper is older" (Lindsay 2000).

Quote: Do not tell me that the fact that bacteria develop resistance to antibiotics, or that rabbits can grow longer fur, or that the new colour of parrot now available in the pet shop is evidence that proves theory of evolution's history of life true and the Bible false... The Bible never said that living things were incapable of change.

You keep saying you completely support microevolution and yet you're completely against macroevolution. It's like saying you believe individual pennies can be added to a bank account but deny that the bank account could ever add up to a large sum of money. And anti-bacterial bacteria IS macroevolution even if you think bacteria is "micro" in size. Keep burying your head in the sand and god will certainly reward you for your ignorance in the afterlife though.

Anyway I'm sure everyone has grown sick of your hypocracy and ridiculous logic. Judging from people like you you'd think creationism had no merit of it's own and consisted entirely of just attempting to poke holes in any science that oppossed christianity....oh wait...well anyway how about answering some questions yourself?

- So what's your stance on dinosaurs? Lived happily with humans? Error of god so he erased them and started new with humans? Fossils planted by satan? Were the dinosaurs riding along on noah's ark too? Were the dinosaurs friendly and used like horses?

- Noah's ark? Did it really happen? Did he really fit all the animals onto the boat?

- How old is the earth?

- There are certainly a few gaps in the fossil records but you claim that there is NO proof of ancestors at all in humans? That humans appeared fully functional in their current state today out of the magical dirt of god right? More fossils planted by satan or scientific conspiracy?

- So, like humans, do animals also have no proof of ancestors? Are the fossilized ancestors of current animals completely different animals also created by god? Or more satan fossils?

- Did Jonah really live in the belly of a whale for 3 whole days? Did god cast a shield of anti-whale on him that gave him +8 to strength and +12 resistance to whale digestion spells?

- Snakes? Do they eat dust? Did they have weird little snake legs in the garden?

- Is heaven really in the sky? If not what's the deal with the tower of babel? Aren't our buildings far taller? And you believe that humans have different languages because god was mad about this tower and scattered humans around rather than just isolated cultures forming their own languages?

I have but one simplistic view. Science seeks to seek answers. Religion claims to seek answers, but in reality fabricated something to to act as the answer to everything: god. That is why religion and science can not coexist.

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by AzirkI have but one simplistic view. Science seeks to seek answers. Religion claims to seek answers, but in reality fabricated something to to act as the answer to everything: god. That is why religion and science can not coexist.

To the contrary, I would suggest that both seek the truth. Both philosophies pursue different paths, but then... ...The immediate answers they seek tend to be different. However, neither fabricates anything. Both seek the truth, and occasionally come up with misconceptions. ...For example, the first few images back from Hubble just about turned everything science believed about the universe right on it's ear. ;-) LOL But you would be the one to say that religion must surely be fabricated.

...I will mention disproven figures that indicated that all embyos were similar... ...Commonly found in school texts, and well... ...Proven wrong.

...Alas... ...It is a good thing that sometimes things won't be judged for the whole by just a few parts, eh?

...Tolerence and understanding may simply be the answer.... ...For many scientists, we're already there.

deviousj

Oscar Meyer Wiener

Okay, I haven't read much of this topic so I don't know everything that is said. I just want to put in my two cents. The fundamental problem with this question is that it assumes that every religion is against science while the fundamental problems with many answers is that the people who state them believe so as well. This simply isn't true. I've spent many years at catholic schools so my answer is based on a Catholic viewpoint. Religious peoples are generally not against science; truthfully, it only seems that religious fundamentalist who believe in the bible word for word are against the advancement of science. The Catholic church isn't against science. There are reservations however. First, the church is against any scientist who actively strive to disprove the existence of God. Catholism isn't against scientific advancement provided that it benefits humankind and doesn't disprove the existence of God. You won't see any knowlegable Catholics protest against a cure for AIDS. The thing is you won't even see any knowlegable Catholics protest against the theory of evolution. The ones who do protest are religious fundamentalist who warp the meaning of scripture to serve their own beliefs fully ignoring even the teachings of the church. The truly ironic thing is that I was taught that the story of creation and Adam and Eve were merely allegories used to explain the point that a God did indeed create the universe and the origins of original sin(which is actually the result of our intrinsically flawed nature as humans). The Roman Catholic church accepts the theory of evolution with the provision that at some point the origin was created by God.

Rich, we're going to Wallyworld!

Science and religion already goes together in some points. Renew your concepts.

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by PlunkiesPlenty of proof supporting evolution, none supporting your mythology.

I never asserted that my religion is fact, however you state that humans came from ape-like ancestors is fact, yet refuse to provide evidence supporting your statement on this forum to prove your stand. Borrowing alexjohnc3's argument, you have the "burden of proof" on you to prove your statement that humans have ape-like ancestors is fact.

So, prove that humans came from ape-like ancestors. Include the sequence of logic and how you came to the final conclusion that humans came from ape-like ancestors is a fact.

"For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:" - Romans 1:20

There is evidence in the creations of the world for the existance of God.

"For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." - Luke 16:28-31

There will never be enough "proof". There were people in Jesus time who were not persuaded with signs and miracles, and that holds true today.

Why should God give "proof" of his existance just because someone asks or it in unbelief and on a whim?

Quote by PlunkiesUm...That article supports animals evolving from single-celled organisms. Do you even read the links that you post?

... of course it's from an evolutionist website. How else can I prove that I have an unbiased article.

"These early organisms are not preserved in the fossil record, so we don't know very much about how multicellularity first evolved," says King, a professor in the Departments of Integrative Biology and Molecular and Cell Biology. "But choanoflagellates might provide insight into that transition." - article

Of course I read it. "provide insght" really means they don't know how the transition took place and are still trying to find out. (150 years after Darwin)

Quote by Plunkies1. Independent measurements, using different and independent radiometric techniques, give consistent results (Dalrymple 2000; Lindsay 1999; Meert 2000). Such results cannot be explained either by chance or by a systematic error in decay rate assumptions.

I never said it is never correct, but my stand is that it is never always correct, especially on very old objects, and thus, should never be taken as an absolute authority on the ages of objects "millions" of years old.

Information of carbon-14 dating

This is as objective and neutral a site as I can find about carbon-14 dating and even it says that the oldest thing that can be carbon dated is around 50-60,000 years old.

Quote by PlunkiesYou keep saying you completely support microevolution and yet you're completely against macroevolution. It's like saying you believe individual pennies can be added to a bank account but deny that the bank account could ever add up to a large sum of money. And anti-bacterial bacteria IS macroevolution even if you think bacteria is "micro" in size. Keep burying your head in the sand and god will certainly reward you for your ignorance in the afterlife though.

Alright... I should make it clear. I do not agree with the history of life according to the theory of evolution. This is a better definition of my beliefs. I have read all the links alexjohnc3 has provided and I'm sorry to have confused you over micro and marcoevolution.

Reality is not as simple as putting pennies in a bank account.

Remember that natural selection can never create superior changes in an organism. It results in the death of an inferior specimen of an organism, of the same gene pool. This can easily result in variations of an organism of a certain gene pool, otherwise observed as "microevolution". (or pennies)

To actually evolve from one type of organism to another, however doesn't require just natural selection, it requires random mutation to create something new. So random mutation alone creates superior genes. And evolution claims that these random mutations resulted in a single-cell organism eventually evolving into a human. This "random mutation created everything" is an explanation akin to fairytale to me.

- So what's your stance on dinosaurs? Lived happily with humans? Error of god so he erased them and started new with humans? Fossils planted by satan? Were the dinosaurs riding along on noah's ark too? Were the dinosaurs friendly and used like horses?

Yes, they lived at the same time as humans. They went extinct just like the woolly mammoths or dodos.

- Noah's ark? Did it really happen? Did he really fit all the animals onto the boat?

Yes.

- How old is the earth?

I don't know, and thus have no real stand on this issue. However I believe it be be around 6000 years old.

- There are certainly a few gaps in the fossil records but you claim that there is NO proof of ancestors at all in humans? That humans appeared fully functional in their current state today out of the magical dirt of god right? More fossils planted by satan or scientific conspiracy?

No just a few gaps. (there are no undisputed 'transitional fossils' as yet) Yes humans appeared fully functional.

- So, like humans, do animals also have no proof of ancestors? Are the fossilized ancestors of current animals completely different animals also created by god? Or more satan fossils?

"Kinds" of animals are capable of change. So an animal of a certain kind (family tree) can develop into many species today just as evolutionary theory suggests. However, as I said, there exist "kinds" of animals and thus boundaries that cannot be crossed. And all animals did not share a single common ancestor nor did they evolve from single cell organisms.

Hmm I think it's better for me to illustrate this.

Human -> "evolve" -> Caucasian
Human -> "evolve" -> Chinese

I'm in complete agreement.

Ape-like ancestor -> "evolve" -> Human
Ape-like ancestor -> "evolve" -> Chimpanzee

I don't agree.

- Did Jonah really live in the belly of a whale for 3 whole days? Did god cast a shield of anti-whale on him that gave him +8 to strength and +12 resistance to whale digestion spells?

"In the Literary Digest we noticed an account of an English sailor who was swallowed by a gigantic Rhinodon [i.e., a whale shark] in the English Channel. Briefly, the account stated that in the attempt to harpoon one of these monstrous sharks this sailor fell overboard, and before he could be picked up again, the shark, feeding, turned and engulfed him. His horrified friends made so much outcry that they frightened the fish, and it sounded and disappeared.

The entire trawler fleet put out to hunt the fish down, and forty-eight hours after the incident occurred the fish was sighted and slain with a one-pound deck-gun. The winches on the trawlers were too light to haul up the body of the mighty denizen of the deep, so they towed the carcass to the shore and opened it, to give the body of their friend Christian burial. But when the shark was opened, they were amazed to find the man unconscious but alive! He was rushed to the hospital, where he was found to be suffering from shock alone, and a few hours later was discharged as being physically fit. The account concluded by saying that the man was on exhibit in a London Museum at a shilling admittance fee; being advertised as "The Jonah of the Twentieth Century." - an article about a man found alive in a whaleshark. (a type of whale, not shark)

There does seem to be a few modern cases of it occuring. It is entirely possible to stay alive in a whale's stomach.

Remember that the whale's digestive system is meant for krill, and does not secrete strong enough acid to digest a human, even over a few days.

No +8 str and +12 resist but I believe that it happened.

- Snakes? Do they eat dust? Did they have weird little snake legs in the garden?

Where did you get this from?

- Is heaven really in the sky? If not what's the deal with the tower of babel? Aren't our buildings far taller? And you believe that humans have different languages because god was mad about this tower and scattered humans around rather than just isolated cultures forming their own languages?

The height of the tower isn't written. Yes I believe the account. And God wasn't mad about people building the tower, it was their motives for building the tower that angered God.

Quote by Persocom01
Since you have plenty of evidence, prove that humans came from ape-like ancestors. Include the sequence of logic and how you came to the final conclusion that humans came from ape-like ancestors is a fact.

For the last time I already have. Stop repeating that same stupid request over and over like you'd actually reconsider your position anyway.

Quote: "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:" - Romans 1:20

There is evidence in the creation of the world for the existance of God.

Huh? So god exists because stuff exists so it must have been made by god? That's not evidence. That's not even close to evidence. Infact crappy logic like that is probably evidence for the non-existance of god.

Quote: There will never be enough "proof". There were people in Jesus time who were not persuaded with signs and miracles, and that holds true today.

Enough proof? There isn't ANY proof!

Quote: Why should God give "proof" of his existance just because someone asks or it in unbelief and on a whim?

Oh how convenient. God won't prove himself out of spite to the arrogant beings he created!

Quote: Of course I read it. "provide insght" really means they don't know how the transition took place and are still trying to find out. (150 years after Darwin)

Yes because single-celled fossils are a tad hard to find. Science doesn't claim to know everything right this second. It still does nothing to help your case.

Quote: I never said it is never correct, but my stand is that it is never always correct, and furthermore, should never be taken as an absolute authority on the ages of objects "millions" of years old.

By quoting "millions" you imply that it is never correct. Which makes sense because if it's correct just once, and the world is over 10,000 years old your whole system of beliefs get flushed.

Quote: Reality is not as simple as putting pennies in a bank account.

Hehe, unless you're actually putting pennies into a bank account in reality I guess...

Quote: Remember that natural selection can never create superior changes in an organism. It results in the death of an inferior specimen of an organism, of the same gene pool. This can easily result in variations of an organism of a certain gene pool, otherwise observed as "microevolution". (or pennies)

To actually evolve from one type of organism to another, however doesn't require just natural selection, it requires random mutation to create something new. So random mutation alone creates superior genes. And evolution claims that these random mutations resulted in a single-cell organism eventually evolving into a human. This "random mutation created everything" is an explanation akin to fairytale to me.

Scientifically there isn't a great deal of difference between micro and macroevolution.

"The two species that are the origin of canines and felines probably differed very little from their common ancestral species and each other. But once they were reproductively isolated from each other, they evolved more and more differences that they shared but the other lineages didn't. "

Quote: Yes, they lived at the same time as humans. They went extinct just like the woolly mammoths or dodos.

Heh, cool, like the flinstones right? Care to explain how we don't find human and dinosaur fossils together then? Why the bible makes no mention of these gigantic beasts? How humans survived with these predators around? There's also a 64 million year gap in the fossil record where neither dinos nor humans existed. Why such a seperation? Cmon....Admit it....Work of the devil right?

Quote: - Noah's ark? Did it really happen? Did he really fit all the animals onto the boat?

Yes.

Dinos too right? Even the most modest of calculations would prove noah's ark to be impossible not even including all the obvious problems of getting the animals across the world and onto the boat, keeping them from killing each other, feeding them, etc.

Also the largest wooden boats in the seas TODAY are only about 300 feet, require reinforcing with iron and leak so badly that they must be constantly pumped. The ark WITHOUT ANY ANIMALS ON IT AT ALL is still impossible.

There also isn't enough water in existance to flood the world, and if there was where the heck did it go?

Why is there no evidence of a flood happening at all?

"How do you explain the relative ages of mountains? For example, why weren't the Sierra Nevadas eroded as much as the Appalachians during the Flood.

Why is there no evidence of a flood in ice core series? Ice cores from Greenland have been dated back more than 40,000 years by counting annual layers. A worldwide flood would be expected to leave a layer of sediments, noticeable changes in salinity and oxygen isotope ratios, fractures from buoyancy and thermal stresses, a hiatus in trapped air bubbles, and probably other evidence. Why doesn't such evidence show up?

How are the polar ice caps even possible? Such a mass of water as the Flood would have provided sufficient buoyancy to float the polar caps off their beds and break them up. They wouldn't regrow quickly. In fact, the Greenland ice cap would not regrow under modern (last 10 ky) climatic conditions.

Why did the Flood not leave traces on the sea floors? A year long flood should be recognizable in sea bottom cores by (1) an uncharacteristic amount of terrestrial detritus, (2) different grain size distributions in the sediment, (3) a shift in oxygen isotope ratios (rain has a different isotopic composition from seawater), (4) a massive extinction, and (n) other characters. Why do none of these show up?

Why is there no evidence of a flood in tree ring dating? Tree ring records go back more than 10,000 years, with no evidence of a catastrophe during that time."

AND THE PLANTS! Holy crap noah forgot the plants! They couldn't possibly survive submerged in water! And the fish? They can't all live in salt water ya know? Coral reefs would also be destroyed. Coral calcium deposits are well known and some highly mature reefs (such as the great barrier) must have been around for millions of years to have deposited to their current thickness.

The flood would have also destroyed the habitats of all the animals anyway. It's doubtful they could have survived in such a ravaged environment. And what about animals that eat other animals? Hell even the animals that ate plants no longer had plants to eat! And that would make all the animals endangered species. Isolated populations with fewer than 20 members are usually doomed even when extraordinary measures are taken to protect them.

Then when the animals get off...

"How did animals get to their present ranges? How did koalas get from Ararat to Australia, polar bears to the Arctic, etc., when the kinds of environment they require to live doesn't exist between the two points. How did so many unique species get to remote islands?

How were ecological interdependencies preserved as animals migrated from Ararat? Did the yucca an the yucca moth migrate together across the Atlantic? Were there, a few thousand years ago, unbroken giant sequoia forests between Ararat and California to allow indigenous bark and cone beetles to migrate?

Why are so many animals found only in limited ranges? Why are so many marsupials limited to Australia; why are there no wallabies in western Indonesia? Why are lemurs limited to Madagascar? The same argument applies to any number of groups of plants and animals.

Why is inbreeding depression not a problem in most species? Harmful recessive alleles occur in significant numbers in most species. (Humans have, on average, 3 to 4 lethal recessive alleles each.) When close relatives breed, the offspring are more likely to be homozygous for these harmful alleles, to the detriment of the offspring. Such inbreeding depression still shows up in cheetahs; they have about 1/6th the number of motile spermatozoa as domestic cats, and of those, almost 80% show morphological abnormalities. How could more than a handful of species survive the inbreeding depression that comes with establishing a population from a single mating pair?"

Why are there no human historical records of a global flood and how did the human civilization bounce back so fast?

Ouch did you hear that sound? That was the sound of noah getting ripped a new one. Not only is the entire story improbable, it is completely impossible, it's as impossible as impossible gets. You can actually go on forever disproving this. It's one of the few things from the bible that's testable on a scientific basis (makes predicitions) and just look how quickly it falls apart.

Quote: - How old is the earth?

I don't know, and thus have no real stand on this issue. However I believe it be be around 6000 years old.

Sorry according to all current evidence you're roughly 4.5 billion years away give or take a few million. I shouldn't have to go through all the reasons why they're right and you're wrong (there's tons of em) but here's my favorite...

Astronomers can measure distances to objects in the universe whose light took thousands, millions, or even billions of years to reach us. Woops! I guess that light was planted by the devil just like those nasty fossils eh?

Quote: No just a few gaps. (there are no undisputed 'transitional fossils' as yet) Yes humans appeared fully functional.

Yeah disputed by people like you. How much does a monkey have to look like a human before you stop disputing it? How much does a human have to look like a monkey?

Quote: - Snakes? Do they eat dust? Did they have weird little snake legs in the garden?

Where did you get this from?

Genesis 3:14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life

They definitely don't eat dirt but snakes did actually have legs at one point, although the reason they don't now is through evolution rather than being cursed by god. Speaking of which, this brings up the topic of vestigial organs. What about those crazy devil-planted organs?

"1 "Vestigial" does not mean an organ is useless. A vestige is a "trace or visible sign left by something lost or vanished" (G. & C. Merriam 1974, 769). Examples from biology include leg bones in snakes, eye remnants in blind cave fish (Yamamoto and Jeffery 2000), extra toe bones in horses, wing stubs on flightless birds and insects, and molars in vampire bats. Whether these organs have functions is irrelevant. They obviously do not have the function that we expect from such parts in other animals, for which creationists say the parts are "designed."

Vestigial organs are evidence for evolution because we expect evolutionary changes to be imperfect as creatures evolve to adopt new niches. Creationism cannot explain vestigial organs. They are evidence against creationism if the creator follows a basic design principle that form follows function, as H. M. Morris himself expects (1974, 70). They are compatible with creation only if anything and everything is compatible with creation, making creationism useless and unscientific.

2 Some vestigial organs can be determined to be useless if experiments show that organisms with them survive no better than organisms without them."

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by PlunkiesFor the last time I already have. Stop repeating that same stupid request over and over like you'd actually reconsider your position anyway.

Huh? So god exists because stuff exists so it must have been made by god? That's not evidence. That's not even close to evidence. Infact crappy logic like that is probably evidence for the non-existance of god.

Enough proof? There isn't ANY proof!

Oh how convenient. God won't prove himself out of spite to the arrogant beings he created!

Suit yourself.

I'm not obligated to prove it to you as I've never said that creation is a an undeniable scientific fact, nor did I ever assert my position as "correct". You, however, regularly assert evolution as truth, and thus bear the "burden of proof".

Quote by PlunkiesYes because single-celled fossils are a tad hard to find. Science doesn't claim to know everything right this second. It still does nothing to help your case.

Don't know much about = cannot be fact (for a revision of the definition of a fact, ask)

Quote by PlunkiesBy quoting "millions" you imply that it is never correct. Which makes sense because if it's correct just once, and the world is over 10,000 years old your whole system of beliefs get flushed.

Carbon-14 dating

If. The website already says that it's unrealible for anything over 50-60,000 years. If you want to put forth the affirmative statement that "carbon-14 dating for objects millions of years old can be correct", prove it. Also note that there are also people who believe Carbon-14 dating to be inaccurate for ages over 3-4,000.

Quote by PlunkiesScientifically there isn't a great deal of difference between micro and macroevolution.

"The two species that are the origin of canines and felines probably differed very little from their common ancestral species and each other. But once they were reproductively isolated from each other, they evolved more and more differences that they shared but the other lineages didn't. "

Oh there is. As I said, microevolution does not require mutation. "Macroevolution" does. And from the "probably", it isn't a fact, because they don't even know enough about this "common ancestral species".

However, because the Bible does not say specifically that cats and dogs are a unique kind, I cannot take a firm stand on this issue. (even though I strongly suspect that they are, any stand I make must be grounded in the Bible.) So back to the evolutionary claims that man evolved from an ape-like ancestor, that birds came from reptiles, and that a mammal went back into the sea and become a whale.

Quote by PlunkiesHeh, cool, like the flinstones right? Care to explain how we don't find human and dinosaur fossils together then? Why the bible makes no mention of these gigantic beasts? How humans survived with these predators around? There's also a 64 million year gap in the fossil record where neither dinos nor humans existed. Why such a seperation? Cmon....Admit it....Work of the devil right?

Who said that they eat mainly humans anyway? (Jurassic park is not proof) And why would humans go to another animal's habitat and get themselves eaten?

Noramally very special conditions are required for fossilization:

1. A quick and deep burial.
2. Water, in the right amounts.
3. Suitable minerals.

Also note that of the millions (or thousands) of specimens of a living species alive during an era, there can be as few as 2 (or no) complete fossils, and that only around 1% of vertebrate fossils found consist of more than a single bone. It's unreasonable to expect a human fossil to be found with a dinosaur fossil even if they existed together. Moreover, humans are unlikely to live with wild animals, let alone dinosaurs.

From the Bible:

"Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox. Lo now, his strength [is] in his loins, and his force [is] in the navel of his belly. He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together. His bones [are as] strong pieces of brass; his bones [are] like bars of iron." - Job 40:15-18

No animal alive today fits this description. It does however sounds alot like a plant eating dinosaur.

And about the separation... fossilization was most likely to occur during the great flood and unlikely to occur after. For a creature as large as the dinosaur, any burial, let alone a quick and deep one, requires a great deal of earth to be moved. This condition is provided by the great flood. Under non-flood conditions, bodies tend to be scavanged, taken apart... etc (what you see on discovery channel) and are not fossilized. That brings us to the other question by logic:

Why are there no human fossils during the flood?

Quote by PlunkiesDinos too right? Even the most modest of calculations would prove noah's ark to be impossible not even including all the obvious problems of getting the animals across the world and onto the boat, keeping them from killing each other, feeding them, etc.

Also the largest wooden boats in the seas TODAY are only about 300 feet, require reinforcing with iron and leak so badly that they must be constantly pumped. The ark WITHOUT ANY ANIMALS ON IT AT ALL is still impossible.

Noah's Ark

I'll say it is possible. There's always another side to an argument.

Quote by PlunkiesThere also isn't enough water in existance to flood the world, and if there was where the heck did it go?

Why is there no evidence of a flood happening at all?

What happened to the water? And where did it go?

Quote by Plunkies"How do you explain the relative ages of mountains? For example, why weren't the Sierra Nevadas eroded as much as the Appalachians during the Flood.

Why is there no evidence of a flood in ice core series? Ice cores from Greenland have been dated back more than 40,000 years by counting annual layers. A worldwide flood would be expected to leave a layer of sediments, noticeable changes in salinity and oxygen isotope ratios, fractures from buoyancy and thermal stresses, a hiatus in trapped air bubbles, and probably other evidence. Why doesn't such evidence show up?

How are the polar ice caps even possible? Such a mass of water as the Flood would have provided sufficient buoyancy to float the polar caps off their beds and break them up. They wouldn't regrow quickly. In fact, the Greenland ice cap would not regrow under modern (last 10 ky) climatic conditions.

About the mountains: why should they be? More detail would be good. Also note that present day mountains might not have existed during the flood. Fossils of sea creatures have been found on mountains.

The rate of evaporation after the flood can result in snowfall over the greenland ice cap being much larger than what is observed under modern climatic conditions. With this assumption, dating modern ice cores will also be inaccurate.

Is ice core dating accurate?

There are another theories about the ice core.

Quote by PlunkiesWhy did the Flood not leave traces on the sea floors? A year long flood should be recognizable in sea bottom cores by (1) an uncharacteristic amount of terrestrial detritus, (2) different grain size distributions in the sediment, (3) a shift in oxygen isotope ratios (rain has a different isotopic composition from seawater), (4) a massive extinction, and (n) other characters. Why do none of these show up?

A massive extinction of what? Fish?

Besides, thare's the possiblity that the (current) sea floor did not exist during those times. Remember that fossils of sea creatures have been found on mountains. There's reason to believe that the sea floor hasn't always been the sea floor. (plate tectonics)

More information on how you came to those conclusions would be helpful.

Quote by PlunkiesWhy is there no evidence of a flood in tree ring dating? Tree ring records go back more than 10,000 years, with no evidence of a catastrophe during that time."

I'm curious to know how you got the figure 10,000, because I can't find reliable records of that. However on the topic of tree ring dating:

Tree ring dating

Review of dating methods

Also on tree ring dating

Quote by PlunkiesAND THE PLANTS! Holy crap noah forgot the plants! They couldn't possibly survive submerged in water! And the fish? They can't all live in salt water ya know? Coral reefs would also be destroyed. Coral calcium deposits are well known and some highly mature reefs (such as the great barrier) must have been around for millions of years to have deposited to their current thickness.

1. I believe that that's what seeds are for.
2. What about saltwater and freshwater fish?
3. Why would coral reefs be destroyed? (more detailed explanation if you may.)

Quote by PlunkiesThe flood would have also destroyed the habitats of all the animals anyway. It's doubtful they could have survived in such a ravaged environment. And what about animals that eat other animals? Hell even the animals that ate plants no longer had plants to eat! And that would make all the animals endangered species. Isolated populations with fewer than 20 members are usually doomed even when extraordinary measures are taken to protect them.

Doubtful? That's not proof that it didn't happen. And "Isolated populations with fewer than 20 members are usually doomed even when extraordinary measures are taken to protect them" refers to the present day context I believe, and are not neccessarily true for the time period in question.

Quote by PlunkiesThen when the animals get off...

"How did animals get to their present ranges? How did koalas get from Ararat to Australia, polar bears to the Arctic, etc., when the kinds of environment they require to live doesn't exist between the two points. How did so many unique species get to remote islands?

How were ecological interdependencies preserved as animals migrated from Ararat? Did the yucca an the yucca moth migrate together across the Atlantic? Were there, a few thousand years ago, unbroken giant sequoia forests between Ararat and California to allow indigenous bark and cone beetles to migrate?

Why are so many animals found only in limited ranges? Why are so many marsupials limited to Australia; why are there no wallabies in western Indonesia? Why are lemurs limited to Madagascar? The same argument applies to any number of groups of plants and animals.

How did animals get from the Ark to isolated places, such as Australia?

Quote by PlunkiesWhy is inbreeding depression not a problem in most species? Harmful recessive alleles occur in significant numbers in most species. (Humans have, on average, 3 to 4 lethal recessive alleles each.) When close relatives breed, the offspring are more likely to be homozygous for these harmful alleles, to the detriment of the offspring. Such inbreeding depression still shows up in cheetahs; they have about 1/6th the number of motile spermatozoa as domestic cats, and of those, almost 80% show morphological abnormalities. How could more than a handful of species survive the inbreeding depression that comes with establishing a population from a single mating pair?"

Note in the Biblical world view, living things were created perfect and degenerated from there due to sin. There were no "Harmful recessive alleles" (which are the result of mutations that evolutionists are so fond of) originally and thus inbreeding is not a problem.

For related information on this issue:

Where did Cain get his wife?

Quote by PlunkiesWhy are there no human historical records of a global flood and how did the human civilization bounce back so fast?

1. The Bible is historical. Moreover there were legends about the flood in different cultures as far as I've heard. (if you want more information, ask)
2. What makes you doubt the reproductive ability of humans?

Quote by PlunkiesOuch did you hear that sound? That was the sound of noah getting ripped a new one. Not only is the entire story improbable, it is completely impossible, it's as impossible as impossible gets. You can actually go on forever disproving this. It's one of the few things from the bible that's testable on a scientific basis (makes predicitions) and just look how quickly it falls apart.

I must say it's been a pleasure up to this point.

However I'll rather you ask for for the purpose of seeking the truth and not for the purpose of belittling or ridiculing others.

Quote by PlunkiesSorry according to all current evidence you're roughly 4.5 billion years away give or take a few million. I shouldn't have to go through all the reasons why they're right and you're wrong (there's tons of em) but here's my favorite...

Astronomers can measure distances to objects in the universe whose light took thousands, millions, or even billions of years to reach us. Woops! I guess that light was planted by the devil just like those nasty fossils eh?

"give or take a few million" - Plunkies

Even scientists don't believe that the margin of error is that small. If you do, prove it.

Besides, I've already said that there are possible flaws in carbon-14 dating. And provide the evidence why you believe the earth is 4.5 billion years old if you wish to state that it is true.

How can light get to us from stars which are millions of light-years away in a universe which the Bible claims is only thousands of years old?

Quote by PlunkiesYeah disputed by people like you. How much does a monkey have to look like a human before you stop disputing it? How much does a human have to look like a monkey?

Looking like a monkey is not valid evidence that we came from ape-like ancestors, moreover, I do not think we look like monkeys.

Quote by PlunkiesGenesis 3:14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life

They definitely don't eat dirt but snakes did actually have legs at one point, although the reason they don't now is through evolution rather than being cursed by god. Speaking of which, this brings up the topic of vestigial organs. What about those crazy devil-planted organs?

"And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou [art] cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:" - Genesis 3:14

"Dust thou shalt eat - Which signifies a base and despicable condition." - John Wesley's explanatory notes

According to my bible commentry eating dust signifies a base or dispicable condition, and since there is evidence that snakes did have legs at one point it supports the Bible doesn't it?

Besides... you shouldn't assert that evolution is true when you have yet to find a fossil of a 1/2 legged snake.

Quote by Plunkies"1 "Vestigial" does not mean an organ is useless. A vestige is a "trace or visible sign left by something lost or vanished" (G. & C. Merriam 1974, 769). Examples from biology include leg bones in snakes, eye remnants in blind cave fish (Yamamoto and Jeffery 2000), extra toe bones in horses, wing stubs on flightless birds and insects, and molars in vampire bats. Whether these organs have functions is irrelevant. They obviously do not have the function that we expect from such parts in other animals, for which creationists say the parts are "designed."

Vestigial organs are evidence for evolution because we expect evolutionary changes to be imperfect as creatures evolve to adopt new niches. Creationism cannot explain vestigial organs. They are evidence against creationism if the creator follows a basic design principle that form follows function, as H. M. Morris himself expects (1974, 70). They are compatible with creation only if anything and everything is compatible with creation, making creationism useless and unscientific.

2 Some vestigial organs can be determined to be useless if experiments show that organisms with them survive no better than organisms without them."

"2 Some vestigial organs can be determined to be useless if experiments show that organisms with them survive no better than organisms without them." - Plunkies

It will be better if you give me more specific evidence.

The snake leg bones might really be "vestigial" but it would support the Biblical account that way.

Anyway... the list of "vestigial organs" has been decreasing ever since their existance was first proposed. I don't know what other organs you have on your list but they might not be there in future.
On vestigial organs
Are there really vestigal organs?

Besides, what I believe is grounded in the Bible. The Bible never said that living things were incapable of change. So stick to proving the evolutionist claims that humans came from ape-like ancestors, or birds came from reptiles, or a mammal went back into the sea and became a whale, since it directly contradicts the Bible.

P.S. To anyone reading this tread, I think it's an excellent comparison of the 2 sides of the argument on "the evolutionary vs the Biblical" account on the history of life. For more information on Plunkies' argument check the website talkorigins.org, which I can never access for some reason. I believe his evidence originates from there.

Awww man this stuff is so funny to me. It is now blatently obvious that you have no regard for any evidence at all and everything you say is based on the already drawn, unscientific claims of the bible. Now I have to ask, why do you even bother trying to get into an argument on this level? Why do you bother with evidence. It's clear that it's all faith at this point. What I'm trying to say is pick a side, FAITH or EVIDENCE. There's no in between. What you're spreading is stupidity, psuedo science, false information and outright lies. You make the world a sadder place for the religious and non-religious alike. I take solace in the fact that we're probably the only two people who have bothered to read this thread all the way through :)

And why exactly are you so hung up on the bible's literal accounts of what happened? Your stance would be so much easier to appreciate if you didn't have to defend such ludacris stories. Noah's ark DID NOT HAPPEN. There is NO faith at all in that statement. Such a huge event would leave a massive amount of evidence behind, yet there is little to no evidence to support it. It just didn't happen.

If you want to use the bible to help you morally then fine, but don't pretend it's science because it isn't.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/Thudpics/scivscre.jpg

Quote by Persocom01I'm not obligated to prove it to you as I've never said that creation is a an undeniable scientific fact, nor did I ever assert my position as "correct". You, however, regularly assert evolution as truth, and thus bear the "burden of proof".

Uh huh. And I've provided it.

Quote: Don't know much about = cannot be fact (for a revision of the definition of a fact, ask)

Yes about that specific part. You don't need the whole puzzle completed before you can see the picture.

Quote: Carbon-14 dating

If. The website already says that it's unrealible for anything over 50-60,000 years. If you want to put forth the affirmative statement that "carbon-14 dating for objects millions of years old can be correct", prove it. Also note that there are also people who believe Carbon-14 dating to be inaccurate for ages over 3-4,000.

You make an extremely strong case. For a completely different argument. Radiometric dating and carbon 14 dating are two totally different methods. Carbon 14 is supported by tree rings and is extremely accurate between 150 years and 40,000 years.

And the people who believe carbon-14 is inaccurate over 4k years are people like you. Christian fundies.

"1. Any tool will give bad results when misused. Radiocarbon dating has some known limitations. Any measurement that exceeds these limitations will probably be invalid. In particular, radiocarbon dating works to find ages as old as 50,000 years but not much older. Using it to date older items will give bad results. Samples can be contaminated with younger or older carbon, again invalidating the results. Because of excess 12c released into the atmosphere from the Industrial Revolution and excess 14c produced by atmospheric nuclear testing during the 1950s, materials less than 150 years old cannot be dated with radiocarbon (Faure 1998, 294).

In their claims of errors, creationists do not consider misuse of the technique. It is not uncommon for them to misuse radiocarbon dating by attempting to date samples that are millions of years old (for example, Triassic "wood") or that have been treated with organic substances. In such cases, the errors belong to the creationists, not the carbon-14 dating method.

2. Radiocarbon dating has been repeatedly tested, demonstrating its accuracy. It is calibrated by tree-ring data, which gives a nearly exact calendar for more than 11,000 years back. It has also been tested on items for which the age is known through historical records, such as parts of the Dead Sea scrolls and some wood from an Egyptian tomb (MNSU n.d.; Watson 2001). Multiple samples from a single object have been dated independently, yielding consistent results. Radiocarbon dating is also concordant with other dating techniques (e.g., Bard et al. 1990)."

Quote: More stuff about micro vs macro

You know what...I'm having a difficult time taking anything you say even remotely seriously at this point. If I can't even show you that noah's ark is an impossibility then this stuff is truly out of your league. I mean you actually believe dinosaurs and humans lived together at the same time. If anyone is still reading this thread (doubtful) and ever took anything perso said seriously, I want you to smack yourself right now.

Quote: Who said that they eat mainly humans anyway? (Jurassic park is not proof) And why would humans go to another animal's habitat and get themselves eaten?

Dude it was ALL dinosaur habitat. And humans are not exactly fast nor strong, if I was a dino humans would be like a free meal to me. RAWR! (how's that for scientific?)

The egyptians probably had raptors climbing up their pyramids and pterodactls attacking their farms along the river banks, it was pandamonium man! The romans would capture dinosaurs and have gladiators fight them in the arena. Then there were the ninja squads from japan that hunted down the dinos to protect their villages! That's it! It wasn't a meteor, it was humans that hunted the dinos down to extinction! SWEET! Anyone who disagrees is a devil worshiping heathen who's gonna burn in hell for all eternity and be mauled by random dinosaurs while being beaten with a copy of The Selfish Gene!

Oh here's something I just recently came across....

"Man and dinosaurs coexisted.

(Creationist Institute of California). Refuted. Institute discredited and licence (to grant science degrees) recently revoked."

Ouch! Good thing I already got my degree in Truthology from Christian Tech!

Quote: Noramally very special conditions are required for fossilization:

1. A quick and deep burial.
2. Water, in the right amounts.
3. Suitable minerals.

Also note that of the millions (or thousands) of specimens of a living species alive during an era, there can be as few as 2 (or no) complete fossils, and that only around 1% of vertebrate fossils found consist of more than a single bone. It's unreasonable to expect a human fossil to be found with a dinosaur fossil even if they existed together. Moreover, humans are unlikely to live with wild animals, let alone dinosaurs.

How come you can use the "it's hard to find fossils" excuse but I can't? Doesnt' really seem fair....I'm gonna go pout now.

Quote: From the Bible:

"Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox. Lo now, his strength [is] in his loins, and his force [is] in the navel of his belly. He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together. His bones [are as] strong pieces of brass; his bones [are] like bars of iron." - Job 40:15-18

No animal alive today fits this description. It does however sounds alot like a plant eating dinosaur.

lolz!

"The "tail like a cedar," which creationists think indicates a large dinosaur, is not even a real tail. "Tail" was used as a euphemism in the King James version. A more likely translation for the phrase is, "His penis stiffens like a cedar" (Mitchell 1987). The behemoth was probably a bull, and the cedar comparison referred to its virility."

Nah you're right...It was probably a biblical dinosaur! Infact I'm not sure which one of these makes me giggle more.

Quote: And about the separation... fossilization was most likely to occur during the great flood and unlikely to occur after. For a creature as large as the dinosaur, any burial, let alone a quick and deep one, requires a great deal of earth to be moved. This condition is provided by the great flood. Under non-flood conditions, bodies tend to be scavanged, taken apart... etc (what you see on discovery channel) and are not fossilized. That brings us to the other question by logic:

Why are there no human fossils during the flood?

Hahahahaha. This made my day. I knew it was only a matter of time before you started dropping christian answers links on me. I'll continue to humor you but to be perfectly honest right here is where I officially declare VICTORY! I just impaled a living dinosaur with a flag right this second.

Anyway I can't be bothered to actually read much of christian answers because every second I spend on that page I can literally feel myself growing stupider. So instead, here's a quick review of that specific page...

"Let's take the following nonsense for truth... just for a moment. We've already been told that dinosaurs lived with Adam & Eve and went on Noah's Ark. And, that fossils aren't old and were just a result of the Great Flood. And, that sedimentary rock formations are laid down in hours and minutes. So, wouldn't we find all the human sinners and heathens that died in the Great Flood RIGHT NEXT TO THE DINOSAUR FOSSILS? Well, we would but according to www.ChristianAnswers.net, the reason we haven't is because of a bunch of shoddy work by paleontologist! Scientists are expected to take blame for not producing the creationist evidence?! The site states, "There are some claims and reports of human artifacts... However, many of these claims are not adequately documented in any scientific sense. Often lay scientists claiming to have found human artifacts or fossils have not recorded specific location details. ALSO, lay scientists have in the past not kept some of the rock which encloses the fossil or artifact as proof of its in situ occurrence. These two oversights have often made it well nigh impossible to reconstruct and/or prove where fossils or artifacts came from, thus rendering such finds virtually useless." [7] Bad Scientists! BAD! Surely, the exact opposite is true: Paleontologists take excruciating pain to preserve all evidence related to human fossil records because of their importance."

Quote: Noah's Ark

I'll say it is possible. There's always another side to an argument.

Ohhhhh, CHRISTIANANSWERS.NET says the ark is possible? Well gee now I'm stumped. Just imagining all the scientific experments that go on behind the scenes of that website makes me quiver with joy. I mean everyone else might say that a 450 foot long wooden boat would be an unstable piece of crap but now I'm finally convinced!

Quote: What happened to the water? And where did it go?

Haha. [See comic at top]

Quote: About the mountains: why should they be?

Uh...because there was supposedly a massive flood? I don't understand the question.

Quote: Also note that present day mountains might not have existed during the flood.

The more I talk to you the more I think that maybe this forum is a connection to an alternate dimension, where I'm in a normal reality and you're in some weird christian reality.

Quote: Fossils of sea creatures have been found on mountains.

"1. Shells on mountains are easily explained by uplift of the land. Although this process is slow, it is observed happening today, and it accounts not only for the seashells on mountains but also for the other geological and paleontological features of those mountains. The sea once did cover the areas where the fossils are found, but they were not mountains at the time; they were shallow seas.

2. A flood cannot explain the presence of marine shells on mountains for the following reasons:
* Floods erode mountains and deposit their sediments in valleys.
* In many cases, the fossils are in the same positions as they grow in life, not scattered as if they were redeposited by a flood. This was noted as early as the sixteenth century by Leonardo da Vinci (Gould 1998).
* Other evidence, such as fossilized tracks and burrows of marine organisms, show that the region was once under the sea. Seashells are not found in sediments that were not formerly covered by sea."

Quote: The rate of evaporation after the flood can result in snowfall over the greenland ice cap being much larger than what is observed under modern climatic conditions. With this assumption, dating modern ice cores will also be inaccurate.

If there was a flood IT WOULDN'T EXIST IN THE FIRST FREAKIN PLACE. The ice caps would have been floated off their beds and destroyed and it would have been impossible to grow back under modern conditions.

The icecores show no evidence of massive geological changes (Massive floods).

Quote: Is ice core dating accurate?

Yeah it's accurate, and I'm not reading that whole page. Specify exactly what your point is so I can refute it.

Quote: A massive extinction of what? Fish?

"In the initial part of the Flood we would expect large numbers of fossils and a large number of species to go extinct. However no baramin of land animals or birds would go extinct [Gen 7:3]. Extinction is possible for fish or plant baramins. Each land animal baramin would be reduced to a single species. Bird baramins may have more than one species as there were evidently both ravens and doves on the ark; I am not sure if these two are in the same baramin or in different baramins."

So yeah sure...fish...pretty much anything really.

Quote: Besides, thare's the possiblity that the (current) sea floor did not exist during those times. Remember that fossils of sea creatures have been found on mountains. There's reason to believe that the sea floor hasn't always been the sea floor. (plate tectonics)

"1. Much geological evidence is incompatible with catastrophic plate tectonics:

* Island chains, such as the Hawaiian islands, indicate that the ocean floor moved slowly over erupting "hot spots." Radiometric dating and relative amounts of erosion both indicate that the older islands are very much older, not close to the same age as catastrophic tectonics would require.

* Catastrophic plate tectonics says that all ocean floor should be essentially the same age. But both radiometric dating and amounts of sedimentation indicate that the age changes gradually, from brand new to tens of millions of years old.

* As sea-floor basalt cools, it becomes denser and sinks. The elevation of sea floors is consistent with cooling appropriate for its age, assuming gradual spreading.

* Guyots are flat-topped underwater mountains. The tops were eroded flat from a long time at the ocean surface, and they sank with the sea floor. Catastrophic tectonics does not allow enough time for the sea mountain to form, erode, and sink.

* Runaway subduction does not account for continent-continent collisions, such as between India and the Eurasian plate.

2. Catastrophic plate tectonics has no plausible mechanism. In particular, the greatly lowered viscosity of the mantle, the rapid magnetic reversals, and the sudden cooling of the ocean floor afterwards cannot be explained under conventional physics.

3. Conventional plate tectonics accounts for the evidence already and does a much better job of it. It explains innumerable details that catastrophic plate tectonics cannot, such as why there is gold in California, silver in Nevada, salt flats in Utah, and coal in Pennsylvania (McPhee 1998). It requires no extraordinary mechanisms to do so. Catastrophic plate tectonics would be a giant step backwards in the progress of science."

Quote: I'm curious to know how you got the figure 10,000, because I can't find reliable records of that. However on the topic of tree ring dating:

*sigh*

Yeah of course you can't when you look at nothing but sites called "apologeticspress" and "answersingenesis".....Christ!

This should explain tree-ring dating if you don't understand it.

http://www.sonic.net/bristlecone/dendro.html

At the bottom I think it says it says up to about 9000 years. I know for a fact that there's dead wood from wisconsin at like 11,800 years but I'm not sure if they actually use those for dating. There's probably older trees but I'm not gonna bother looking them up. You could probably find stuff on dead wood if you wanted to.

Quote: Tree ring dating

Review of dating methods

Also on tree ring dating

This is why we don't use christian propaganda sites for evidence. Scientific confidence in tree ring dating has been established beyond a reasonable doubt.

Quote: 1. I believe that that's what seeds are for.

- Many plants (seeds and all) would be killed by being submerged for a few months. This is especially true if they were soaked in salt water. Some mangroves, coconuts, and other coastal species have seed which could be expected to survive the Flood itself, but what of the rest?
- Most seeds would have been buried under many feet (even miles) of sediment. This is deep enough to prevent spouting.
- Most plants require established soils to grow--soils which would have been stripped by the Flood.
- Some plants germinate only after being exposed to fire or after being ingested by animals; these conditions would be rare (to put it mildly) after the Flood.
- Noah could not have gathered seeds for all plants because not all plants produce seeds, and a variety of plant seeds can't survive a year before germinating. [Garwood, 1989; Benzing, 1990; Densmore & Zasada, 1983] Also, how did he distribute them all over the world?

Quote: 2. What about saltwater and freshwater fish?

Some require cool clear water, some need brackish water, some need ocean water, some need water even saltier. A flood would have destroyed at least some of these habitats.

Quote: 3. Why would coral reefs be destroyed? (more detailed explanation if you may.)

[url=http://www.coralreefalliance.org/aboutcoralreefs/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62&Itemid=72[/url]

Since most coral are found in shallow water, the turbidity created by the runoff from the land would effectively cut them off from the sun. The silt covering the reef after the rains were over would kill all the coral.

Corals are extremely fragile and support a lot of marine life, they couldn't possibly survive a flood.

Quote:
Doubtful? That's not proof that it didn't happen. And "Isolated populations with fewer than 20 members are usually doomed even when extraordinary measures are taken to protect them" refers to the present day context I believe, and are not neccessarily true for the time period in question.

Yeah present day context, with a lot of human help and technology at their disposal they still can't do it at times.

And sure "doubtful" isn't proof that it didn't happen, but it sure as hell doesn't help your flood and there's plenty of ACTUAL proof that it didn't happen (Which you also readily ignore).

Quote: How did animals get from the Ark to isolated places, such as Australia?

Yay more christiananswers.net stuff! Notice how they have no evidence and they just kinda make up ways for the animals to get where they should be! Geez even when making stuff up without the restrictions of needing evidence they STILL do a pretty awful job of it. I think they should just replace every article on that site with the phrase "goddidit" in big bold letters.

Quote:
Note in the Biblical world view, living things were created perfect and degenerated from there due to sin. There were no "Harmful recessive alleles" (which are the result of mutations that evolutionists are so fond of) originally and thus inbreeding is not a problem.

For related information on this issue:

Yeah that was during the garden of eden times. Get your mythology straight buddy :) Inbreeding would have been a problem in noah's time.

Quote: 1. The Bible is historical. Moreover there were legends about the flood in different cultures as far as I've heard. (if you want more information, ask)

"Why do other flood myths vary so greatly from the Genesis account? Flood myths are fairly common worldwide, and if they came from a common source, we should expect similarities in most of them. Instead, the myths show great diversity. [Bailey, 1989, pp. 5-10; Isaak, 1997] For example, people survive on high land or trees in the myths about as often as on boats or rafts, and no other flood myth includes a covenant not to destroy all life again."

"Why should we expect Genesis to be accurate? We know that other people's sacred stories change over time [Baaren, 1972] and that changes to the Genesis Flood story have occurred in later traditions [Ginzberg, 1909; Utley, 1961]. Is it not reasonable to assume that changes occurred between the story's origin and its being written down in its present form?"

Quote: 2. What makes you doubt the reproductive ability of humans?

Well I sure as hell don't doubt mine. Nevertheless siring an entire city within 150 years seems like quite a challenge don't you think?

"Why is there no mention of the Flood in the records of Egyptian or Mesopotamian civilizations which existed at the time? Biblical dates (I Kings 6:1, Gal 3:17, various generation lengths given in Genesis) place the Flood 1300 years before Solomon began the first temple. We can construct reliable chronologies for near Eastern history, particularly for Egypt, from many kinds of records from the literate cultures in the near East. These records are independent of, but supported by, dating methods such as dendrochronology and carbon-14. The building of the first temple can be dated to 950 B.C. +/- some small delta, placing the Flood around 2250 B.C. Unfortunately, the Egyptians (among others) have written records dating well back before 2250 B.C. (the Great Pyramid, for example dates to the 26th century B.C., 300 years before the Biblical date for the Flood). No sign in Egyptian inscriptions of this global flood around 2250 B.C."

"How did the human population rebound so fast? Genealogies in Genesis put the Tower of Babel about 110 to 150 years after the Flood [Gen 10:25, 11:10-19]. How did the world population regrow so fast to make its construction (and the city around it) possible? Similarly, there would have been very few people around to build Stonehenge and the Pyramids, rebuild the Sumerian and Indus Valley civilizations, populate the Americas, etc."

Quote: I must say it's been a pleasure up to this point.

However I'll rather you ask for for the purpose of seeking the truth and not for the purpose of belittling or ridiculing others.

Sorry. I think I'm one of those arrogant intellectual atheists you hear so much about. Oh well. To be honest your psuedo-science drives me to the brink of insanity. Sorry if I vent a bit.

Quote: "give or take a few million" - Plunkies

Even scientists don't believe that the margin of error is that small. If you do, prove it.

Heh, I was just being cute. However...

"The generally accepted age for the Earth and the rest of the solar system is about 4.55 billion years (plus or minus about 1%)."

Here's a link everyone but you can visit

Here's a highlight.....

"Unfortunately, the age cannot be computed directly from material that is solely from the Earth. There is evidence that energy from the Earth's accumulation caused the surface to be molten. Further, the processes of erosion and crustal recycling have apparently destroyed all of the earliest surface.

The oldest rocks which have been found so far (on the Earth) date to about 3.8 to 3.9 billion years ago (by several radiometric dating methods). Some of these rocks are sedimentary, and include minerals which are themselves as old as 4.1 to 4.2 billion years. Rocks of this age are relatively rare, however rocks that are at least 3.5 billion years in age have been found on North America, Greenland, Australia, Africa, and Asia.

While these values do not compute an age for the Earth, they do establish a lower limit (the Earth must be at least as old as any formation on it). This lower limit is at least concordant with the independently derived figure of 4.55 billion years for the Earth's actual age.

The most direct means for calculating the Earth's age is a Pb/Pb isochron age, derived from samples of the Earth and meteorites. This involves measurement of three isotopes of lead (Pb-206, Pb-207, and either Pb-208 or Pb-204). A plot is constructed of Pb-206/Pb-204 versus Pb-207/Pb-204."

From there it gets somewhat complicated and a bit boring, but you get the picture....(more devil science)

Quote: Besides, I've already said that there are possible flaws in carbon-14 dating. And provide the evidence why you believe the earth is 4.5 billion years old if you wish to state that it is true.

Again you confuse carbon-14 dating with radiometric.

Quote: How can light get to us from stars which are millions of light-years away in a universe which the Bible claims is only thousands of years old?

Gosh I really hate that silly site. I'll ignore the one that paints god as a lier and a deciever with his light creating stuff. I don't see why your god wanted to go through all the trouble of tricking everyone into thinking the Earth was old anyway....

On speed of light changes...

"1. The possibility that the speed of light has not been constant has received much attention from physicists, but they have found no evidence for any change. Many different measurements of the speed of light have been made in the last 180 or so years. The older measurements were not as accurate as the latest ones. Setterfield chose 120 data points from 193 measurements available (see Dolphin n.d. for the data), and the line of best fit for these points shows the speed of light decreasing. If you use the entire data set, though, the line of best fit shows the speed increasing. However, a constant speed of light is well within the experimental error of the data.

2. If Setterfield's formulation of the changes in physical parameters were true, then there should have been 417 days per year around 1 C.E., and the earth would have melted during the creation week as a result of the extremely rapid radioactive decay (Morton et al. 1983). "

Quote: Looking like a monkey is not valid evidence that we came from ape-like ancestors, moreover, I do not think we look like monkeys.

Heh, I never meant to imply we look like monkeys. I was talking about the fossils :)

Quote: According to my bible commentry eating dust signifies a base or dispicable condition, and since there is evidence that snakes did have legs at one point it supports the Bible doesn't it?

Oh NOW the bible isn't literal. Fantastic....

Quote: Besides... you shouldn't assert that evolution is true when you have yet to find a fossil of a 1/2 legged snake.

"Haasiophis terrasanctus is a primitive marine snake with well-developed hind limbs. Although other limbless snakes might be more ancestral, this fossil shows a relationship of snakes with limbed ancestors (Tchernov et al. 2000). Pachyrhachis is another snake with legs that is related to Haasiophis (Caldwell and Lee 1997)."

That sound you just heard was me screaming at the top of my lungs "BOOM! HEADSHOT!"

(Not that I'm one to gloat or anything :) )

Quote: Anyway... the list of "vestigial organs" has been decreasing ever since their existance was first proposed. I don't know what other organs you have on your list but they might not be there in future.
On vestigial organs
Are there really vestigal organs?

Yeah you're right, even the appendix has a use!

"Its major importance would appear to be financial support of the surgical profession."

Quote: Besides, what I believe is grounded in the Bible. The Bible never said that living things were incapable of change. So stick to proving the evolutionist claims that humans came from ape-like ancestors, or birds came from reptiles, or a mammal went back into the sea and became a whale, since it directly contradicts the Bible.

So you believe in science to the extent that it doesn't encroach on your mythology. At that point it's all bs and devil-worshiping right?

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by PlunkiesYeah you're right, even the appendix has a use!

"Its major importance would appear to be financial support of the surgical profession."

Vermiform appendix

This itself is controversial. Remember that evolutionists once thought that 95% of human DNA was junk and "proof of evolution". Science has proven them wrong today.

Quote by PlunkiesGosh I really hate that silly site. I'll ignore the one that paints god as a lier and a deciever with his light creating stuff. I don't see why your god wanted to go through all the trouble of tricking everyone into thinking the Earth was old anyway....

On speed of light changes...

"1. The possibility that the speed of light has not been constant has received much attention from physicists, but they have found no evidence for any change. Many different measurements of the speed of light have been made in the last 180 or so years. The older measurements were not as accurate as the latest ones. Setterfield chose 120 data points from 193 measurements available (see Dolphin n.d. for the data), and the line of best fit for these points shows the speed of light decreasing. If you use the entire data set, though, the line of best fit shows the speed increasing. However, a constant speed of light is well within the experimental error of the data.

2. If Setterfield's formulation of the changes in physical parameters were true, then there should have been 417 days per year around 1 C.E., and the earth would have melted during the creation week as a result of the extremely rapid radioactive decay (Morton et al. 1983). "

I guess you didn't read about the criticisms the site made about the above 2 theories, and at the end of which they also agreed weren't likely.

The phenomenon that light takes millions of years to reach us despite the earth being only thousands of years old can be explained using Einstein's theory of relativity.

The speed of light did not change, but rather time did.

"Dr. Humphreys' new creationist cosmology literally "falls out" of the equations of GR, so long as one assumes that the universe has a boundary. In other words, that it has a center and an edge -- that if you were to travel off into space, you would eventually come to a place beyond which there was no more matter. In this cosmology, the earth is near the center.

This might sound like common sense, as indeed it is, but all modern secular ("big bang") cosmologies deny this. That is, they make arbitrary assumption (without any scientific necessity) that the universe has no boundaries -- no edge and no center. In this assumed universe, every galaxy would be surrounded by galaxies spread evenly in all directions (on a large enough scale), and so, therefore, all the net gravitational forces cancel out.

However, if the universe has boundaries, then there is a net gravitational effect toward the center. Clocks at the edge would be running at different rates to clocks on the earth. In other words, it is no longer enough to say God made the universe in six days. He certainly did, but six days by which clock? (If we say "God's time" we miss the point that He is outside of time, seeing the end from the beginning.)[10]

There appears to be observational evidence that the universe has expanded in the past, supported by the many phrases God uses in the Bible to tell us that at creation he "stretched out"[11] (other verses say "spread out") the heavens.

If the universe is not much bigger than we can observe, and if it was only 50 times smaller in the past than it is now, then scientific deduction based on GR means it has to have expanded out of a previous state in which it was surrounded by an event horizon (a condition known technically as a "white hole" -- a black hole running in reverse, something permitted by the equations of GR).

As matter passed out of this event horizon, the horizon itself had to shrink -- eventually to nothing. Therefore, at one point this earth (relative to a point far away from it) would have been virtually frozen in time. An observer on earth would not in any way "feel different." "Billions of years" would be available (in the frame of reference within which it is travelling in deep space) for light to reach the earth, for stars to age, etc. -- while less than one ordinary day is passing on earth. This massive gravitational time dilation would seem to be a scientific inevitability if a bounded universe expanded significantly.

In one sense, if observers on earth at that particular time could have looked out and "seen" the speed with which light was moving toward them out in space, it would have appeared as if it were traveling many times faster than c. (Galaxies would also appear to be rotating faster.) However, if an observer in deep space was out there measuring the speed of light, to him it would still only be travelling at c.

There is more detail of this new cosmology, at layman's level, in the book by Dr. Humphreys, Starlight and Time, which also includes reprints of his technical papers showing the equations.[12]

It is fortunate that creationists did not invent such concepts such as gravitational time dilation, black and white holes, event horizons and so on, or we would likely be accused of manipulating the data to solve the problem. The interesting thing about this cosmology is that it is based upon mathematics and physics totally accepted by all cosmologists (general relativity), and it accepts (along with virtually all physicists) that there has been expansion in the past (though not from some imaginary tiny point). It requires no "massaging" -- the results "fall out" so long as one abandons the arbitrary starting point which the big bangers use (the unbounded cosmos idea, which could be called "what the experts don't tell you about the 'big bang'").

This new cosmology seems to explain in one swoop all of the observations used to support the "big bang," including progressive red-shift and the cosmic microwave background radiation, without compromising the data or the biblical record of a young earth." - How can light get to us from stars which are millions of light-years away in a universe which the Bible claims is only thousands of years old?

Hmm... personally, I have problems comprehending Einstein's theory of relativity myself so I won't expect everyone to understand, however, my point is that it is scientifically possible for the earth to be young even if light takes millions of years to reach us from the stars' current locations.

Quote by Plunkies"Haasiophis terrasanctus is a primitive marine snake with well-developed hind limbs. Although other limbless snakes might be more ancestral, this fossil shows a relationship of snakes with limbed ancestors (Tchernov et al. 2000). Pachyrhachis is another snake with legs that is related to Haasiophis (Caldwell and Lee 1997)."

That sound you just heard was me screaming at the top of my lungs "BOOM! HEADSHOT!"

(Not that I'm one to gloat or anything :) )

"And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou [art] cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:" - Genesis 3:14

The fact that snakes had limbs at one time actually supports the Bible, since the Bible directly states that snakes were commanded to go upon their belly from a different posture. (from the fossil record we assume that snakes once walked) How God went about doing this is not stated.

However the fossil evidence is clear: That snakes might not always have slithered around on their bellies. This supports both the Biblical and evolutionary account on the history of life.

P.S, Even I don't hate atheists sites (in fact I would very much like to see them), I believe everyone is entitled to the right to voice their doubts and differences. So keep an open mind and don't go into christian sites with the "I hate them" mentality, or you'll never learn anything.

To all readers: I am not asserting that the Bible is "correct" but rather proving that it is scientifically possible. However I do assert that the history of life according to evolution is not proven.

CyberDragoon

The Prince of Nothing

Quote by Persocom01 The fact that snakes had limbs at one time actually supports the Bible, since the Bible directly states that snakes were commanded to go upon their belly from a different posture. (from the fossil record we assume that snakes once walked)

How God went about doing this is not stated. If you believe that it is the result of evolution, so be it.

However the fossil evidence is clear: That snakes might not always have crawled around on their bellies.

So when the fossil evidence supports the Bible you'll agree but when it abundantly disproves the Bible you'll disagree? Just to note, the fossil snake is believed to have lived 95 million years ago. Wasn't the age of the earth suppose to be 2000 to 10000 years old according to the Bible that is?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/03/000317051940.htm

Persocom01

Persocom01

Seeker of the Truth

Quote by CyberDragoonSo when the fossil evidence supports the Bible you'll agree but when it abundantly disproves the Bible you'll disagree? Just to note, the fossil snake is believed to have lived 95 million years ago.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/03/000317051940.htm

Carbon-14 dating

I have already argued against the accuracy of carbon-14 dating of anything over 50-60,000 years old. And even then the site admits that impurities can easily produce large variations in the dated age.

If you think me a hypocrite, also know this:

I did not write the Bible, what is written is written. The verse is available for reading by everyone today. Just because the fossil evidence exists doesn't mean I can conveniently twist the words of the Bible for my own purposes.

And I also said this:

That if you want to prove the Bible wrong, give evidence that humans share a common ancestor with chimpanzees, that reptiles evolved into birds, and that a mammal went into the sea and evolved into a whale.

If you want to "abundantly disproves the Bible" do it on these points that are stated clearly in the Bible.

I have also admitted that I have no firm stand on anything not written in the Bible, even if Christian sites say that they are true.

I cannot rewrite the Bible.

page 4 of 9 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next » 196 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.