Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Linux or microsoft windows? - Minitokyo

Linux or microsoft windows?

page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 115 total items

Criox

Criox

~LoNe BaNcHoU oF MiNiToKyO~

Linux is more secure and safe to use but not user friendly! Microsoft windows is user friendly and simply! Which of them will u choose?

~SpInnIng ThE NeW ThReAd oF CrEaTiOn~
Signature

"Linux is user-friendly. It's just very selective about who its friends are."
as the quote says.. anyway.. it just depends what you need too do, I use both cause for some things I must use windows cause poor driver support for linux
and anyway... do you really think that a mandrake distro is more secure than a winxp? um.. I'm not really sure of that.. LFS is good for sure =P

"Theory is knowledge that doesn't work. Practice is when everything works and you don't know why." (Hermann Hesse)

Personally neither, I use NetBSD, for the general computer user I would say get a ZX Spectrum and never worry about being hacked again...

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

There are already a number of threads on the same topic, most of which have been closed by the moderators because they are duplicates.

http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/7852/
http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/3413/

Remember to search before you post new threads to make sure you're not making a duplicate of an existing thread!

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

linkrulesx10

linkrulesx10

Ero kaki

windows cause it isthe only one i have ever used

You come near me and "sword of light that i doth release" ??? huh how come it isn't working??? Oh yeah i remember now im not a sorcerer ops... umm... just forget what i just said... kinda... oh thats right, I remember im a ninja now "Kage bunshin no jutsu"??? huh how come it isn't working???...

Ritalin

Ritalin

Rawrz.

That thread is closed, shinsengumi. XD

Anyway, neither! :p I use FreeBSD as my desktop OS. It's more secure than Linux natively:)

If you use the right flavor of Linux though, it is actually easier to use than Windows. XD

Caffeinated Dreams
outrageously caffeinated weblog.

IRC--express--Twilight Whispers-

Linux is very hard to learn to Win users; but it's really better. No locks, more stable. But you can say Bye bye to the majority of good games. Developers ar always thinking in Win and DirectX :(. I think this is one of the reasons that people don't feel comfortable with linux, because the cannot play lots of games ...

Criox

Criox

~LoNe BaNcHoU oF MiNiToKyO~

Quote by AOJLinux is very hard to learn to Win users; but it's really better. No
locks, more stable. But you can say Bye bye to the majority of good
games. Developers ar always thinking in Win and DirectX :(. I think
this is one of the reasons that people don't feel comfortable with
linux, because the cannot play lots of games ...

Sort of agree in a way! Sad!

~SpInnIng ThE NeW ThReAd oF CrEaTiOn~
Signature

failure

failure

I screwed up again

Quote by Ritalin
If you use the right flavor of Linux though, it is actually easier to use than Windows. XD

Agreed, I use SuSE Pro 9.2 on my workstation at the office, and with YaST I don't need to *ever* touch a command line at all. It's really easy to configure and use. otoh, I run Debian on everything I can find an excuse to run it on, and that OS is not what I would call "user friendly". I have heard that Mandrake is extremely user friendly but have never tried it.

On the installation side of things, I would say that SuSE's installer is even easier than the Windows xp installer. But how much time is spent installing your OS anyway? I think too much focus goes into the installation, considering that most users will have an OS preinstalled or installed by an administrator at their place of work.

**Insert witty siqnature line here.** || "Interesting anime quote" -- Cool Anime Character, Nifty Anime
Signature

chip

chip

ecchi lover, linux sensei

I run gentoo linux on many boxes... it's a little harder to learn than the others, but once you're over that, the ease of obtaining such power and control over every detail of the system is absolutely amazing. Rock on, all penguins!

Yunsung

Yunsung

Who smokes the blunts?

Windows, I'm lazy and windows is easy to use so that's why I've voted for it. (but this dosent mean that linux is bad ;) )

[edit]
this post is no longer up to date :P linux is much better than windows, screw that i'm lazy :P

Laserowa korekcja wady wzroku <- moja strona na temat korekcji wzroku metoda PRK/LASEK

Story-Weaver

Story-Weaver

Another story begins...

I use Windows.
Lots of people quote the instability of Windows as a major disadvantage compared to other "more stable" operating systems. I dispute this. Both my current PC and the one before both run/ran windows and I think I only remember 5, maybe 6 crashes over the whole 5 year period. Recently (in the last week) I've been experiencing a lot of crashes but that was because I was infected with a virus - I knew I should have gotten anti-virus software earlier!

I think some of the reasons that Windows is so targeted is, firstly, that a lot of people who don't know mch about computers use windows because of its relatively simple interface. Therefore they do things wrong and crash their computers frequently. I know someone who uninstalled all their drivers to "free up space"!!
Secondly, there's a lot more third party software for Windows than for anything else and so your more likely to end up with conflicts and problems from those.
Finally, the majority of Windows Users use Internet Explorer - and boy, that's just asking for trouble. Every time you browse the web with that hunk of junk you end up with another 11 trojans and spyware on your computer.

I think that with a little care and know how Windows can be very stable - especially XP.
Sorry for ranting for so long! ;)

See my web page! Or my blog.

dnmax

dnmax

That Man

i use windows, but have been trying out different Linux distros... i haven't found any that i like better than XP though... >_>
the next distros on my list are Slackware and Mandrake

I'm using Windows now, but opting to try on Linux. But when I pay a visit to Linux's site, I got confused with all the option of Linux. I don;t know which one to choose from, so until today, I have;t decide on which Linux to use

fuzzmegabass

fuzzmegabass

Code Ninja

For most people Microsoft Windows is probably the best choice for their computing needs, I personally would prefer Linux for my computing needs. Linux is very appealing to programmers, and engineers alike. I would like to try out Linux From Scratch, because I'm in complete control as to what kind of software goes into the system, I'm able to decide how many versions of Emacs *wretches* is in my distro. In the meantime I'll use good ol' Slackware.

Signature Image

Quote by CrioxLinux is more secure and safe to use but not user friendly! Microsoft
windows is user friendly and simply! Which of them will u choose?

with a little knowledge, you can get a windows system just as hardened as a linux one

Quote by fuzzmegabassI would like to try out Linux From Scratch, because I'm in complete
control as to what kind of software goes into the system

i use gentoo, for the same reason (plus, more speed)

as for "vote for one", both have their own pros/contras. so my vote goes to a multi-boot environment.

paied

paied

*blink*

I've used Windows since 3.1... started playing with Linux while windows was in the ME stage... quit using Windows completely about three or four months before Service Pack 2 for Xp came out (what's that, july ish?).

[bob@elenothar bob]$ uname -sr
Linux 2.6.8.1-12mdk

;) That would be Mandrake 10.1, without KDE. Yesh. Go Enlightenment woot!

Arael

Arael

Ocean Soul

frankly speaking, even if i don´t like (hate:) windows, i still use it as a second os. but actually, i just use it for gaming and only for the games, which doesn´t run on linux

Signature
www.gitarrenlaerm.de.vu
-Metal Community Kassel-

I agree that the Windows 9x line is pretty unstable. But with Windows XP, I haven't a problem since I first used it.

i know nothing of linux, but at work all the linux guys have showed me how manually robust linux can be for your box, you can get shells that look mighty nice for linux, kinda like a cross between windows and mac os, linux also can boot up so much faster obviously, all have there ups and downs, but win xp is the definitive for user friendly tasks. I hope that will change M$ is overboard. As well old dos programs can't go full screen, everyone these days makes an anal retentive face when i say i can't full screen dos screens, like c'mon some ppl need it to have it defualt full screen and remain that way! The vote poll is neck and neck right now, i guess that sums up how both os's get props.

Quote: "As time grows to be my reaper, i leave my mark behind..."
Signature

CTEon

CTEon

.:Holy Devil:.

Quote by AOJLinux is very hard to learn to Win users; but it's really better. No
locks, more stable. But you can say Bye bye to the majority of good
games. Developers ar always thinking in Win and DirectX :(. I think
this is one of the reasons that people don't feel comfortable with
linux, because the cannot play lots of games ...

I have to agree with this too...for non gaming operations if you know what you're doing it would seem the linux is the more ideal choice for running the comp whereas I think windwos is more user friendly and you have less of a chance to botch up because windows usually hides most of the comp configs from normal users...it really depends on how much computer knowledge the guy has in the end I believe and those who are move advanced will tend to say that Linux is better when you don't count playing games e.e

Yesterday is hisory, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that's why it is called the present

I use Windows 2k right now, but I'll definitely have to learn Linux in the future.

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

I guess I have to remain impartial. So far, I choose both.

Being a gamer, Windows isn't really a needed thing, but something I feel more comfortable with, as I know I won't have problems with my OS not supporting what I need it to. Though, I heavily dislike the default Windows shell, so I'm getting the best of both worlds. Yeah, it is Windows, but there's no ugly taskbar, nor annoying desktop icons. Everything runs faster, not being slowed down by Windows's resource-eating-monster-shell.

page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Next » 115 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.