Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 girls wearing revealing/seductive clothing? - Minitokyo

girls wearing revealing/seductive clothing?

This thread is closed for posting.

page 4 of 10 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next » 221 total items

I found the original article. It is indeed on a .gov site, so I was not remembering incorrectly.

http://www.belize.gov.bz/cabinet/d_balderamos_garcia/issue1/page14.htm

However, what I did not recall is that they sourced it from within the United States. They may have not have done proper confirmation, so point well taken. But the thing that puzzles me is that this appears to agree with you on several points. 'No' seems pretty short given the intersections between that study and what you have posted here.

but still, the information is good for deterrence, if it should ever happen. although i would think that it is from the american government, as the manner of typing is different.

Kuzain

eeto...uumo...

That is not a government agency. That is an email form a woman who probably also got it online. These are textbook hallmarks of urban myths. Read the snopes article.

I also think less of the government of belize for posting it. And no miyukiko, nothing but the part about being aware will help you prevent anything.

~*Signature
	Image*~
Osaka-san!

can you post it on the forum, i would like to read your side too.
kuzain

unicorn2006

Retired Moderator

unicorn2006

:.ICE:.:BIN.:

Quote by KuzainNope. Rapists often can't even recall what their victim looked like or was wearing. They rape for control, not attractiveness. The rest is used afterwards to justify their actions.
We often wish this weren't true (especially women) because then we can claim "it can't happen to me" but the truth is a rapist will rape you no matter what you look like or wear. All that matters to him is that you hurt and feel like less of a human being.

My point was not that control/domination issues are not part of what triggers a rapist. That motive is the one with strong empirical evidence as of now, and is cited as the main motive behind rapes. But psychologists are not pushing aside situational determinants just yet and are still exploring them.

oh dear we should get off the topic of rape. this isn't what i had in mind when i started the thread.

"Faith means believing in something that will only make sense in reverse."
"When men are the most sure and arrogant they are commonly the most mistaken..."

ok... although, going back to the topic, i would say that if the girl wears something revealing, it might give the wrong signal that she's "loose"

Kuzain

eeto...uumo...

They are, but they are almost all focused on areas of study such as "What areas are rapes most likely to occur in" or "Does childhood affect a man's chances of becoming a rapist". Most are not involved in areas related to attractiveness or appearance beyond that more aware, confident people are less likely to be attacked in any fashion.

I don't think it's a terrible thing that it evolved into a discussion of rape. I like to get certain messages out there since people don't often want to hear them but they're still true. And it's natural for conversations to evolve somewhat.

miyukiko, here's the article: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/rape.htm

~*Signature
	Image*~
Osaka-san!

true, maybe these psychologists should change their viewpoint...lol. thks for he site, and i find that your source is much better than the other one

Quote by KuzainI also think less of the government of belize for posting it.

Me too, but I never thought I'd be taken off guard when something a government said wasn't true. Never! ^^ That's what I get for relying on memory alone, though.

I was hoping to discuss people's feelings about minor sexual misconduct as related to skimpy dress, but the sheer furiosity of our anti-rape feelings keeps throwing the thread in that direction. Not that that is unhealthy necessarily, but we have to make sure we don't direct those negative feelings on each other. I know someone who was raped and it angers me a great deal even now but that sort of emotion (and subsequent bias) is not what I want guiding my viewpoint on these issues.

In any case, we've almost said as much as we can before we're just chomping at the bit. I'll consider the views inputed here in any future discussion of such topic. Overall, a good discussion. I don't think I saw anyone call each other a name even once. Trust me, it's not that mature on some of the other boards I visit.

well, what can we say, this is an anime site... funny that such a topic ended up here, ne?

kotoko

kotoko

~revived from the dead~

well if the girls are just begging to get themselve's harassed then that's probably da reason why.... or maybe because they just want to show off some cleavage... to attract guys...

imo, people who harass others should take the responsibilities on what they do... hmph.. but that's just what i think, *please don't hurt me*....

i don't look down on them.. cause that's who they are :)

true, but we can't really blame the guys, if they do things based on the messages they get from the wa the girl dresses and her demanor

cardmage

cardmage

After you

What a person wears gives an indication to how a person to how a person wishes to be viewed. Conservative clothing give people an impression of you being shy or serious. Cute clothing tell people you like fun and sociable. Revealing clothing give people the message that you are more daring and confident. It, of course, also gives people the idea that you wouldn't mind some attention. Its wrong to way that these people are loose.

Being confident would explain why guys approach girls with revealing clothes. It takes certain confidence to approach girls, and guys who are more confident tend to like girls of the same type. Some assume too much and take it too far leading to some cases of sexual harrassment by physical contact. Being verbally abused usually comes from people who don't like the fact that you like attention, but since you're ready for attention, some negative ones shouldn't kill you.

As to the topic of rape, i think, actually has little to do with revealing clothes. The first thing to do when considering rapes is that it is an abnormal act conducted by people which are mentally abnormal. No mentally normal person would conduct such an act whatever the environment. However a person dresses, it will always cater to some abnormal person's fetish, so its no longer relevant to talk about people being raped because of what they wear. I would blame the guy if he were to rape a girl just cause she is wearing something revealing.

Life is tranquil, Death is peaceful...
Signature
Its the transition that is troublesome...

bani-kyu

bani-kyu

"The Cat's Meow"

Hmm... personally, I've always thought that it's better to leave a bit to the imagination. I mean, if you want to run around looking like a skank (not in all cases, of course) because that's the only way you can get a guy's attention, then I feel sorry for you.
But, though I obviously dislike seeing other girl's dressing like that, I won't go so far to say that any bad/abusive attention they get is deserved. No one deserves to be assaulted in any way, shape or form. I wouldn't even wish something like that upon the person I hate most in the world.

Basically, clothes sends out a clear message about you, your personality and your motives.
Girls wearing revealing clothes does sometimes make me turn and stare, but for guys it's just a reflex action. But i personally don't like my own friends wearing revealing clothes because it doesn't really show who they are. Fashion is rapidly changing and there is nothing anyone can do about it, shops such as Forever 21 and Supre, are one of them that attracts girls to purchase revealing clothes....oh wellz

Signature Image

Groups.....::Minitokyo-Australia::. .::Chibi-Fest::. .::KpopFans::.

- from patients comes perfection, although patients has it's limits -

i'm sorry about that statement about generalization... but harrasment can also be influenced through other factors, such as drinking alcohol, the enviroment you are in...so these factors also contribute overall...

bani-kyu

bani-kyu

"The Cat's Meow"

Quote by andRox But i personally don't like my own friends wearing revealing clothes because it doesn't really show who they are.

Oh... that's like a close friend of mine. She's been dressing really revealing and in dark shades that really don't match who she is in any way. I mean, she's one of the most outgoing, chatty, friendly little social butterflies I've ever known, but she's been dressing like a complete slut lately. She's always changing her style, but it never really matches who she is... it's like she wants to be a rebel, but really, she'd never do anything to hurt her parents or anyone around her.

women who dress that way and gripe about a man hitting on her shouldn't dress that way. They know it gets attention, that's what revealing clothing is for, right? The good comes with the bad and if you don't want that kind of of attention then you shouldn't dress that way. However, when a woman does dress that way, it doesn't give anyone the right to harass her or do with her what they want, that person should know that when she says no (or any other form of response or body language that _clearly_ states for someone to back off) that it means no.

i wouldn't think of your friend as a rebel... after all, i believe that everyone is entitled to their own fashion sense, but i think that it is best to dress accordingly to your surroundings. and i think that your friend is simply dressing the way she feels, even if it seems to be poor judgement to you...

bani-kyu

bani-kyu

"The Cat's Meow"

Quote by miyukikobayakawai wouldn't think of your friend as a slut... after all, i believe that everyone is entitled to their own fashion sense, but i think that it is best to dress accordingly to your surroundings.

I don't think of her as a slut - just, the way she's dressing is getting attention that she even admits to not wanting, but she still dresses that way. I don't think there's really any other way to describe the way she dresses aside from 'slutty', but, by all means, she isn't one. :(

i'm sorry i couldn't edit the post in time, but i think that ur friend is simply dressing the way she feels... even if it might be poor judgement on her part. besides, i don't believe anyone would want to dress as a slut

bani-kyu

bani-kyu

"The Cat's Meow"

Quote by miyukikobayakawai'm sorry i couldn't edit the post in time, but i think that ur friend is simply dressing the way she feels... even if it might be poor judgement on her part.

Oh, that's fine, no offense taken ^^'. Yeah... I shouldn't be one to talk, I'm not perfect, but, she isn't known for making 'good' choices. Her last boyfriend was the local druggy, so... she kind of got mixed up in things she never anticipated. I kind of feel bad because I think I should be looking out for her. *ahem* Waaaay off topic there, sorry! ^_^'

daijobu...i shouldn't have said that either... sumimasen < bows>

bani-kyu

bani-kyu

"The Cat's Meow"

Quote by miyukikobayakawadaijobu...i shouldn't have said that either... sumimasen &lt; bows&gt;

Really, don't worry about it ^^' You're too kind, I was kind of down talking my friend anyway, now that I look at it. My bad. Alls well, no biggy ^^

page 4 of 10 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next » 221 total items

Back to Body, Mind & Fashion | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.