Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 DQ and Credits "showing when low" ... Thoughts? - Minitokyo

DQ and Credits "showing when low" ... Thoughts?

page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 146 total items

Just noticed the new tweak on mt that will only show the download quota and credit amount when "low"
However...I was wondering..."low" seems like such a vague/arbitrary amount...
Is this change supposed to discourage leechers and spammers?
Not sure I think this is the way to go about that...although I suppose it could encourage less dling and spending of credits

I guess it just seems odd to me to leave the levels visible and remove these two numbers instead

What do other people think about the change?

nekogirl333

nekogirl333

Konatic

i just noticed it too. It bothers me cos dont exactly know how much dl quota and credit u got. I prefer knowing than not knowing. And how much is low?

I have no idea how this works now T_T
me lost....

Signature Image

i guess it's supposed to keep you unaware of your credits so you actually spend more until you realize that you haven't enough what should encourage you to post more etc.

that's the only reason i can think of.

Quote by GOMFi guess it's supposed to keep you unaware of your credits so you actually spend more until you realize that you haven't enough what should encourage you to post more etc.

that's the only reason i can think of.

Quite possibly true...but I think it may have the opposite effect

somebodyelse

Retired Moderator

somebodyelse

Pacman's mouthpiece

Bah, missed the first post! :hmpf:

This strikes me as an effort to stave off 2 things:
1. Complaints about the credit system. Look through the "bug reports" forums and you see way too many threads about "why don't I get credits for such-and-such" and a mod has to take time directing them to the policy and closing the thread.
2. Abuse of the credit system. I saw one guy who spammed his own guestbook again and again trying to get credits. (They all showed up as merged posts, so it didn't work.) And of course the wall-ripping tendencies of some people falls under this as well.

What I'm afraid of happening here is an effect similar to the "level 10 effect" from MT2, to where folks with low credits contribute art/posts until their credit count becomes invisible, then they stop, because they can't see a numerical benefit to posting further. Another possible ill effect is something to where folks download until their DLQ/credits become visible, then stop. Were this to happen, it would sort of defeat MT's purpose with regards to people posting their art, as it would be looked at less, and consequently commented/faved less.

But, it's a recent change, so we'll have to see how things go over time- I could be way off the mark.
:pacman:

EDIT: I wanna know too, what's the "low" visibility threshold?

Signature Image
"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..." -Jimmy Buffett

Aoi Nishimata goodies! Check my gallery out!

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

I don't like it at all. I like to know how many credits I have. *shakes head*

Did this like, just happen? Because I was on earlier this afternoon and I'm pretty sure I still had my credits...

Not knowing my credits makes me feel insecure. :(

Another theory about why they did it: The reason that they changed from credits to levels in the first place, besides to encourage active participation, is that high-level people couldn't flaunt it over low-level people, and people with lots of credits were flaunting theirs over people with less credits, defeating the point of the system (just a theory).

However, I still don't like it. I've never done anything to abuse my credits and now I feel like I'm being unjustly punished. :(

Signature
Bleach-Central | Anime Story Club
My Latest Submission: Nino

yay thing can get worse! ..its not enough with the stupid credit system now we need to open the walls 1 by 1 just to don't get the "owned" thing and see if we have credits to download it so nice!
(i'll try to remenber that...things get worse)

frustration,friendly,envy,emptiness, unhapyness,unbrearable,Love,hatred, agony,dark,lonely,and in pain
you can all die..nobody cares.i'll enjoy

animefairy

animefairy

Bored student

I just went online and noticed it. It's very weird. I don't really like the way they did it. I would love to know what my download quota and credits is. This really sucks! >_<

Thank you so much to soujiokita fro making my avy and sig! Mega thanks! *hugs*
Signature
Check out my userpage layout by Chichiri1907

DanTheGreat

DanTheGreat

Ju-Ni Ban Tai Taichou

it feels weird when you can't see your credits

Signature

polarie

polarie

..my heart is crying out loud...

hmmm.. instead of us guessin what's happenin... & why they are doin it.. mayb some mod can help us..

me too didnt like it.. as it made me feel insecure.. i like to know how much i've got.. so i can ration them... i dont like to overspend.. it's jus like money.. if i dunno how much i've got left in the bank, i dare not spend even though i might very well be able to afford it.. so.. well..

Signature

proud member of Nippon-Foods | JapaneseLover | Chibi-Fest

embershadow

embershadow

Quincy Archer Hates You

Yeah, polarie has a point... I think this will make people less likely to download (although in some people's minds, I guess that's a good thing) but also less likely to post, as the mentality is, "If I don't know that I'm getting credits for it, what's the point?" I think that is the most harmful outcome of this plan and the biggest flaw in the mods' pattern of thinking.

Whatever their exact reasons were for doing it, we may never know...

Signature
Bleach-Central | Anime Story Club
My Latest Submission: Nino

artgeek12

artgeek12

the curious Art Fox

I just noticed it too. It's a bit spooky to not be able to see your own status. It was one thing for others not to know your level and such but it's like we are being kept in the dark. I can't speak for others but I go on downloadind binges every once in a while. I won't download anything for weeks but I'll still post and such. Then when I find an interesting subject I'll download everything i can about it. I'm guessing this new change is suppose to regulate the download/leech ration to make it more balanced but it seems flawed somehow. Although it might deter heavy leechers from leeching, it may also discourage contributers from sharing if they feel they aren't getting anything out of it. Even if they are getting something, it give individuals peace of mind to see their status go up....even for a bit.

I liked polarie's comment about how it was like money. That's a really good analogy. Like the term coins, we get credits by earning them. We earn them by contributing to the community. If we see no type of reward, some may feel that need to contribute disappear. I'll always contribute more than i leech but for other....i don't know.

Artgeek12 - Proud member of NewWaveProject!
Signature
Organizer of the Olympiad Project, where everyone one is needed and welcome!

i definitely feel a lot more insecure, all those cred points i save for those occasional "must have" d/ls when i have no quota left feel like they're gone. also i like to keep at least 20 in the bank. "low" is very ambigious... this new system is very unnerving.

Alfonse

Alfonse

MugenGlider

I'm lost with this whole dilemma too.
I think the Mods decided to do so...cause I remember Shinsengumi posting a thread earlier about what you like about MT and what changes do you think should be made and etc.
And someone said something about the Download quota and how they don't like it cause your credits'll never go away if you wait for 'em to replenish. The member said something about how leechers'll just have to wait and download like crazy again. And the quota is too high.
I guess the Mods took this into consideration and did somethin' about it. .::shrugs::. But I could still be wrong, we'll just have to wait and see.

'Signature Image'
My Latest: Oscar
My Original:Almighty Power

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

I'd have to say I dislike it, was there a real problem with people knowing how much "MT money" they have? What is "low"? Having these values hidden is unnerving to say the least, I strongly disagree with this change.

Signature Image

Kiako

Kiako

the shadow

it would look a lot better if that text wouldn't be there, but except for that, that it looks disturbing i don't have a problem with it.

beethoven

beethoven

darkness

ok the quato no biggy but show the creds i mean how will you know when it's time to splurge when you can't open your walet

Only in the dark of your soul can you reveal the light of your heart" Stephen Penton
Signature

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

its annoying due to the fact that you dont know whether to use it or not, also how low is low?

i like to at least have some sort of guidline as to how much i have

Signature Image

AngelKate

AngelKate

~*Lady Sweetness*~

I noticed this too and wasn't sure if I should create a thread about it. I think its stupid. What's the point of having credits if you don't know how many you have?

Signature
Not really walling much anymore D: Feel free to browse my gallery, though!
Thank you for the siggy and avy, Kitten! ^_^

Elves

Elves

Wandering/Wondering Soul

Yeah. I was on earlier too, and I knew how many credits I had then. Weird. The analogy to $money$ is very acurate. I can understand the free downloads being hidden, but my credits? Come on. It's like not knowing how much money your checking account contains when you want to buy that pricy item, but you hesitate due to lack of knowledge of funds then kick yourself when you later find out you could have afforded it, but it's gone.

Signature
Proud Member & Admin of::.Oldsters.::

Ky

Ky

Blue

Why does MT always change the moment members get used to what's there already? No offense to the adminm as they're doing a great job on maintaining such a large site, but if it isn't broken, why fix it?

when i was try to see when it would show up, it never did till i ran out. maybe i cused em too fast...damn firefox tabs

Spystreak

Retired Moderator

Spystreak

The Grim Reaper

I personnally don't care if I see them or not. I don't use either much and haven't use creds since who knows when. The only thing I use the Dl quota for is to check for ripped walls and I usually don't look that much. The only thing I can see coming out of this new change is more complaints from members which I find to be ridiculous.

Fools You Can't Escape from The Grim Reaper. Your Only Chance for Escape Is Death. Bye Bye Now
Signature
Your Ignorance Will Be Your Own Downfall.

page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 146 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.