Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Which monitor type is better, LCD or CRT - Minitokyo

Which monitor type is better, LCD or CRT

CRT or LCD?

LCD
100 votes
CRT
19 votes

Only members can vote.

page 2 of 8 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next » 186 total items

Tatsumi09

Tatsumi09

Seeker of Inner Peace

I used to think CRTs were better, but after buying a really good LCD, I can easily say LCDs are the way to go. For gamers who complain about refresh rates on LCD, I bought one almost 2 years ago with a 8ms refresh rate (by now they probably having even better refresh rates). The only true disadvantage I can see in LCDs is their price. But you get what you pay for, and CRTs will gradually leave the market in a couple of years.

LCD monitors are the future (for now atleast) until they come up with some ridiculous technology to replace it.

The refresh rate of LCD are still lower of the CRT. So the Dot pitch.
You know that the colours on a monitor are represented by the RGB system. for each pixel ther are 3 equidistant dots to represent 1 colour. The distance between these dots is called "dot pitch".
I may be ageed with the fact that actual and modern LCD have high quality look! ^_^
But in the professional graphic studios (the serious ones) you still can't see LCD as final test monitor.
To reach almost the CRT quality a LCD must have a price that is from 5 to 10 the price of a CRT.
By the way... I've got a CRT supporting a 85hertz refresh rate, has a dot pitch of 0.24 mm, is 100% flat monitor. Can you tell me the price of a LCD with the same performances?

High end CRT models are still the best for graphic design however it's pretty much impossible to buy one now since they are no longer manufactured. On the other hand much progress has been made on LCD and high end expensive models do a good job for graphic design and you get all the other benefits. Either way you need to pay 2000 to 4000$ on your monitor to get really good quality.

ChinoMareno

ChinoMareno

This is a girl in the picture

well dot pitch isn't really that much of a problem, in practice LCD's have better dot definition since they are native. but ive tryed 8ms lcds, just can't get over all the trails.

LCDs are much better for graphic design, the color is actually superior on higher specd LCDs and the pixel ratio is perfect(no bendy lines).

Your avatar is an image which reflects your personality or an aspect of it. Minitokyo recommends against putting a female avatar if you are a male, and likewise for the other gender.

if you're into gaming and shit LCD monitor is the way to go. it puts less strain in the eye and does'nt reflect light which is nice since my PC is near my window and sunlight comes into my room during mornings. however if you're doing any graphics related work, i suggest you use a CRT monitor.

LCD LCD LCD! I just prefer the pixel quality and the fact my eyes don't strain much anymore. Generaly I find though Cheap LCD screens tend to loose pixels everynow and again but it's worth it because my eyes don't strain. If you use your desk for drawing and other stuff as well lcd is awesome because it takes so little space on your desk. But you know it's rally your choice.

I vote LCD FULL STOP!

actually sometimes i find myself straining to see da screen on my laptop.. but anywayz, i like the low radiation part of LCD n space =) which is one thing i don't have on my desk when i got more homework than usual.. actually i don't even have room for my math textbook.. so...

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

I used to be a CRT guy, but have to admit. ...This LCD stuff is good!

Well. I think that depends on what you're doing. I am not much fond of gaming and more into designing and graphics. Although CRT make much clearer scene I think LCD are better to eyes. I am mostly saying this coz I'd have eye strain for working long hours with CRT monitor while with LCD this wouldn't have happened at all. If you're computer addict I suggest LCD monitor.

Quote by ChinoMarenowell dot pitch isn't really that much of a problem, in practice LCD's have better dot definition since they are native. but ive tryed 8ms lcds, just can't get over all the trails.

LCDs are much better for graphic design, the color is actually superior on higher specd LCDs and the pixel ratio is perfect(no bendy lines).

When you says: "the color is actually superior" you mean realistic?!?
By nature LCDs have less realistic color profiles than CRT.
You can try printing an image and compare the result of the print (even if, truly, it depends also on the printer).
The matrix of a CRT can be a "Black screen matrix", the best quality, pure color, solution for CRT, but it raises the price. But not so much as a high quality LCD.
The CRT (because are back-lighted by powerful tools) has more brightness color, more contrast and more quality definitions.
They says that LCDs cannot damage the sight because LCDs has no radiation, but I work for hours on PCs and the low quality of LCD monitors make my eyes tired. Not so at home... ^_^

welli find that the LCD screen has a sharper image. i was using a laptop in japan and i could see words etc clearly on a 1024x768 resolution, but when i went home and used my old desktop with a CRT screen i found that i couldnt read a thing on the same resolution.

CRT 'cause of faster refresh rate, higher bright and contrast ratios and more precise colors. In a somewhat near future, I bet in OLED displays.

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin

Quote by dreamerswelli find that the LCD screen has a sharper image. i was using a laptop in japan and i could see words etc clearly on a 1024x768 resolution, but when i went home and used my old desktop with a CRT screen i found that i couldnt read a thing on the same resolution.

If you can see my CRT and any of the thousend LCD you surely change your mind!
Your CRT is flat? :)
The sharper image of the LCDs is an illusion. Really.
If you play a fast game with many dark/bright zones you can see on LCD many flickering shadows. This can't happen with CRTs.

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

Well CRT's are more consistent with its colours and such which is good for graphic design and so forth. I'm using a 17" flat CRT at the moment and i'm fine with that, no tired eyes and so forth, but i am looking at upgrading at a later stage to a 19" LCD only cause LCD's are more common nowadays that and with their space saving size and such, hope to do dual screen on this computer, or in future when i buy a new pc for myself get another 19" LCD and dual screen it :D

Signature Image

Exterminator

Exterminator

Exterminator

LCD can save energy, but in term of quailty, it cant compare to CRTs. CRT may be big and space consuming, but its has better colour, refresh rate, and last longer than LCD. I got 2 cpus, and one of them has a LCD, the CRT i had for almost 5 years, is still working, and my LCD just died. so i say CRT are better.

i like LCDs a lot more than CRTs. They take up less room which means more desk space! And when I stare at a CRT for a long time it's very nauseating...but i think that the sharper image of the LCDs is an illusion of sorts.

You, sir, have successfully managed to rape the entire English language with one sentence. Congratulations.

vitalstab

vitalstab

Speed And Damage Is The Game

I used to use CRT. but when i switched to LCD.. i made sure i got de one with de lowest refresh rate. but generally, the LCD has sharper graphics compared to the CRT even though CRT has virtually no lag.

I give my point to the CRT because the quality of the display is still better than the standart LCD... what I meant with standart, well is simple...not so expensive

LCD is still the better however, if you don't have the money then I recommend CRT cause it'[s cheaper and it's good enough.I wonder if projectors are good too.

kyubichan

kyubichan

Mobile Blackhole

LCD monitors burn my eyes... at least the ones that are available in my city. You can't make the Brightness go down much and it really ... burns my eyes~ XD I would like a good LCD if I find one though, the problem is that I have a cat, and my computer desk is slanted (to accommodate my CRT monitor), so I imagine if I had an LCD monitor, he'd topple it over easily. I'd need a new computer desk + LCD monitor.

For now, my CRT monitor works fine, so I'm not replacing it yet.

Because yes!

nowaday is LCD very cheep, 32 inchs full HD some 600 USD .(at Vietnam)

I don't think I need to explain why I like LCD better, you've pretty much summed it up yourself.

LCD is superior to CRT in functionality and easier on the eyes. CRT has better color, though for the average user it doesn't matter so much. So I picked LCD.

However... LCD is dependent on pixels, whereas CRT is not, so you can use all sorts of resolutions on a CRT without much ugly pixelation.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

LCD ~
Can more clear color display in photo

page 2 of 8 « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next » 186 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.